Chapter 3: Courage

As much as I'd like to think I fell asleep as soon as I hit the pillow, I didn't. Not even a wink. The night silence was filled with groans and screams within the street and town. I was exhausted but I just couldn't bring myself to fall asleep, especially with no one to watch my back. I guess that's the price you pay when your surviving the apocalypse alone.

I know, I said apocalypse. I think after everything I've seen, I've finally agree with my dead best friend. If. Would have believe her in the first place, I would have been more prepared, cautious for what happened yesterday. Even if I was physically prepared, no one could survive something like that and not have it affect them in any emotional way.

Instead of trying to catch the sleep that I lost, I decided to turn on the T.V and eat breakfast. I wasn't hungry but I need the energy. I turned on the T.V to the news channel while I walked to the kitchen island. "Let's see, I have carrots, corn, vegetable soup, cranberry sauce, and chicken soup" I said quietly to my self. I grabbed the can of carrots and chicken soup and heated them on the stove, this is where a generator comes in handy.

I won't have long before I have to move to another place with food, maybe seek a shelter or office building somewhere. I regarded the thought and placed my breakfast on the coffee table in front of the T.V.

As I sat in front of the T.V, nothing was on. All the channels were out of service. So much for further instructions. I then remembered the recording tapes my dad left in a box in his room when he left us three years ago. I couldn't remember why but I only remember that mom kicked him out because he was crazy. Although I could help but feel there was more to that then what my mom told me.

I ran up stairs and into my dad's room. It was empty, no has touched it since. I opened the mirror closet to find a large cardboard box in the corner, a blanket of dust secured on top. I brush the dust off and walked back down stairs with the heavy box in my hands.

After dropping the box on the coffee table, my hands rummaged through the pile of tapes. I then came across a label that caught my eye.

Adara Rose

That's weird, I've never seen this tape before. Out of curiosity, I put the tape in the VCR. Why do I have a VCR? I have no idea but I'm glad I do.

The video began to play, showing my dad sitting in his office, facing the camera. "Adara" he smiled. I almost forgot that smile. "If you are watching this, I will be long gone and probably dead" he looked to the floor. "It's happening, all over the world. How I know? Because I work with the government. We have found a new virus, something we've never seen before"

"The government forced me to keep quiet but I couldn't handle living on with knowing in just three years, the virus would grow and infect the world. We tried to create a cureut everything has failed. Fortunately, this virus is not airborne. Unfortunately, the world will never know of the virus' existents until it hits them" his dark eyes were full of fear. Something I haven't seen in a long time.

The sound of glass smashing echoed in the background. My dad glanced back before looking straight in my eyes. "Listen to me, I don't have much time. Whatever you do... do not-" before he could finish his sentence, three men with guns and vests barged in. Tipping the camera and forcing it to hit the floor.

I could see nothing but only hear his cries for me, "Adara!" Unforced tears brimmed my eyes. Only seconds later, the video went blank.

He knew, he knew all this time and he left me. A loud groan snapped me out of my haze. I wiped my wet eyes before running to the front door. Peeping through the peeping hole. Three walkers were standing on my porch, banging on the glass windows and door. I can't stay here and I know it.