Chapter 6 - a Double Agenda

It was quite early in the morning, when the notification sound of her communicator sounded. Vers groaned and opened one eye, but immediately shot up when she saw who it was. She turned the thing on quickly.

"Hey mystery girl", Thor smiled, and she could feel the heat rising to her cheeks.

Control your emotions.

Yon's voice kept ringing in her head. But this was for her mission, right? "Hi", she smiled, bit quickly a yawn overtook her. "Did I wake you up?", He asked worried, but Vers quickly shook her head. "It's nothing".

"I eh...", He stumbled, which was unusual, normally he was always so confident,"I wanted to invite you to a royal party on Asgard". She saw him blush, even through the hologram.

It wasn't something she had expected him to ask. He had told her about the lush and extravagant parties they often held, but she never could've thought he would invite her.

If she were to accept she would need to find a way to escape Hala without being caught, which was basically impossible, because they're still on lockdown. But it could also be a good strategy, the Asgardian's wouldn't expect a Kree to come - not that the Kree ever came to their parties, given they certainly weren't allies - so they wouldn't suspect them of killing their beloved crown prince.

On the other hand, she doubted if she'd actually could kill him. Not strength wise, she was definitely stronger than him, but she didn't know if she would be able to handle it emotionally.

"I-... I don't know", she eventually mumbled. She saw his expression turn to disappointment, "why not? I mean, I would love you to come and introduce you to my friends. They're very curious to meet my Kree... Friend...". Vers narrowed her eyes in suspicion, she could've sworn he stumbled over his words. "I mean, only if you want to of course", he quickly added.

"I can't get away from here, I already explained it", she looked down. "But I'll try to see what I can do". His face lit up a bit, "it's tomorrow evening, it's a masquerade, so I'd recommend you to wear something formal", he softly smiled. Vers nodded and heard a knock on her door, "I got to go, byee", she smiled and quickly turned the connection off again.

"Vers? Who are you talking to?", Yon's voice sounded from behind the door. She jumped up, "no one, just... Myself". She almost tripped over her stuff when she rushed to the door, forcing a smile on her face when it slid open.

"Vers, I wanted to-", he stared, but she quickly cut him off, "I have to commune with the intelligence, it's important. You can wait, right?". He was caught off guard, but quickly regained himself again, "of course, do you want me to come with you?". "That wouldn't be necessary", she could notice his sudden change of behavior. "See you at the gym in an hour then", he ordered before he quickly walked away.

☆☆☆☆☆☆

"A masquerade?", Vers could see their doubts, "and you're planning to kill him there?". "Yes, I just need your permission to leave Hala, otherwise I can't go", she tried to convince them. "And how did you get to know about this? We can check your memories so you better not lie".

Vers sighed, "I've been having contact with him through my communicator". "Hmm", was all the Intelligence exclaimed. Vers bit her lower lip, she knew they would never agree. "Alright, I'll give you permission. I'll assign one of the highest respected Tailor's to get you a dress and mask. You're dismissed", they gave her a small nod.

Vers closed her eyes and when she opened them she smirked. The small wires that connect her to the Supreme Intelligence creeped away from her body. She went back to her sleeping quarters to put on her training gear.