Chapter 53 - A Quest Begins

AUTHOR'S NOTE:

When we left off at the end of the previous chapter, Colonel Doolverr had set out to kill Sergeant Jules Brossette...

Chapter 53 - A Quest Begins

Jules frantically clawed and wriggled to break free of Doolverr's stranglehold, kicking over the chair in the process. Now he knew why Doolverr had temporarily dismissed his men - so that they could honestly say in a court inquest that they had not witnessed Jules' death, a snuffing of life which Doolverr was no doubt planning to claim had to be done in self-defense.

The lack of oxygen began to transform Jules' sense of reality into delirium, and he thought he heard Skylor's voice. She spoke loudly, but he couldn't make out what she was saying.

I love you, cherie, he mentally messaged her, realizing that he was not strong enough to break the viselike grip on his neck...

"STOP!" was what Skylor was screeching when she burst into the registration building and ran over to the men. "Uncle Oliver! Stop! Please stop!" she pleaded, reverting to the way she had addressed her father's friend during her growing-up years. She pounded her fists on Doolverr's back.

The pounding was annoying enough to make Doolverr let go of Jules, who fell to the ground. On his hands and knees, the sergeant gulped in precious air, allowing his mind to be restored to reality.

"What are you doing?!" Skylor screamed at the ranking officer, half angry yet half scared as the burly man turned around to face her.

"I'm protecting your reputation, Skylor!" the colonel growled as he backhanded her across her cheek.

The major cried out in pain, holding her face where he had just struck it.

Doolverr was not finished. "Your father is a high-ranking general who reports directly to the King, and we can't have his daughter sleeping around with every worthless scumbag she fancies, especially when she's already promised to someone!"

He smacked her again on her other cheek, and she shrieked once again, this time falling to her knees.

"If you can't control your urges by yourself, I'll help you by eliminating temptation!"

He turned back toward Jules with the intent of finishing what he had started, but she scrambled back to her feet and grabbed onto his arm.

"NOOO! Don't kill him! I'll stay away from him if that's what'll keep him alive!" she wailed.

The burly man easily flung her off his arm. He turned toward her once again.

"Look, young lady, I understand that your noble father was occupied with serving his country while you were growing up, and that's why you sorely lack discipline. But someone needs to teach you a lesson in it!"

He grabbed her by her upper arm and began to smack her viciously on the face. Her cries of pain filled the air as she could not successfully defend herself.

While Doolverr was occupied, Jules stumbled to his feet, fueled by anger at the treatment his woman was receiving. Quickly he looked around for some way to stop the deranged colonel.

Then he saw the fireplace poker. Instantly he grabbed the metal object.

And swung it with force onto Doolverr's head.

Doolverr crumpled to the ground onto his stomach and lay still.

In the sudden silence of the room, Jules stood there, breathing heavily as the adrenaline still coursed through him. He looked upon the inert body on the ground. "The colonel knows how to make the misere," he commented as he turned to look at Skylor. He was shocked to see her beautiful face discolored and covered with welts. "Are you in pain, cherie?" he asked.