Chapter 58 - Prelude

That same morning...

Sam sat by herself at the table of her little kitchen area of her cottage, idly staring out the window at the cloudy February morning. Shades of brown and gray dominated the woodsy view, accented by patches of white snow and the green clumps of moss stubbornly adorning several trees surrounding the dwelling. A gap among the trees allowed her to look down the footpath leading from the cottage to the frozen Ninjago River a few dozen yards away.

To Sam, it seemed like winter had lasted forever. However, based on what she remembered from this time last year, the river was about to thaw, and its happy gurgling would soon resume. Indeed, she was starting to hear occasional cracking sounds, meaning that the ice was starting to break. And the birds and the spring peepers would soon resume their cheerful music.

The thought of spring returning brought Sam a modicum of cheeriness to an otherwise bleak existence. These days, she spent her time mostly alone. The gunshot wound in her leg had healed to the point that she no longer required round-the-clock care. With the use of a cane, she was able to dress herself, move around the cottage, and cook for herself.

Today she was eating a simple breakfast of pancakes. Normally by this time she'd be done with the morning meal, but today she had awakened later than usual, on account of losing sleep in the midnight hours.

As she sat on the kitchen chair, she rubbed her cold bare feet together. Jake had taken away her stockings and her shoes, along with her cloak, in order to prevent her from venturing out into the snow and cold and escaping from the Purple Army. She didn't know why Jake had bothered to take away those articles of clothing. She wasn't planning to go anywhere, not if that meant jeopardizing the safety of her beloved Kai.

Keeping Kai safe was the thread of comfort she clung to during General Chen's disgusting nocturnal visits, the latest of which had just occurred last night. She tried not to think of the vulgar comparisons he had made in the dark between her and the kabuki girls whose company he frequented in the past. But the memory of his repulsive comments - and loathsome touching - creeped into her mind, and she shivered.

A fluttering sensation in her midsection distracted her. Her unborn baby, the tangible reminder of Kai, had moved in her womb.

Sam closed her eyes and patted her tummy. Thank you, little one, for reminding me that there's still goodness in this world, she smiled.

A knock on the front door caused her to open her eyes again. From the kitchen, she heard the door creak open. Jake had taken off the lock weeks ago so that Chen could have easy access to the cottage. A moment of panic seized her before she heard the intruder call out, "Samantha dear, it's me, Jake!"

As she rose from her chair to meet Jake at the door, Sam breathed a little easier. At least he's not Chen! She wasn't surprised to see Jake; he came around once every few days to check on her and bring supplies and ensure the adequacy of the firewood supply. With her cane, she hobbled through the parlor, to where he had shut the front door behind him and was taking off his coat and hat, whistling as he did so. Through the window behind him, Sam noticed a tan canvas-covered wagon parked in the clearing in front of the porch. It was filled with many items.

He usually comes here in the cutter. Why did he bring a wagon?

"Good morning, my dear Samantha!" he cheerily greeted her upon seeing her. "How are you this fine morning?"

He certainly is in a jovial mood today, Sam silently observed. Ignoring his inquiry, she glared at him. "Why did you bring a wagon today? And I see it's quite loaded. Looks like enough supplies to last me a whole month."