Chapter 49 - Warmth on a Cold Night

AUTHOR'S NOTE:

The action in the chapter below takes place three nights after the previous chapter...

Chapter 49 - Warmth on a Cold Night

Wednesday, January 4th, 9:00 p.m...

Nine o'clock on a brisk January evening found Sergeant Brossette by himself, finishing up clerical work for a fellow soldier. It was unusual for Brossette to be on duty at this hour, for he ordinarily worked during the day. Calling the morning roll for one section of Kryptarium prisoners was one of his responsibilities.

However, Major Amber had given his fellow soldier, an evening clerical worker named O'Reilly, the night off. In the man's place, she had ordered Brossette to work on both the morning and evening shifts.

He had been disappointed over this. Not only for the obvious reason that it meant extra work for him, but it also meant he would not have time to go over to the hospital and see if Corporal Smith was able to receive visitors yet. Furthermore, it meant that Major Amber was still irritated with him about their conversation from three nights ago.

Brossette rubbed his bleary eyes, glad that he would soon be able to go back to his quarters and finally collapse on his bed for a few hours of sleep before he had to awaken for the morning roll call once again.

A sharp rapping on the office door startled him.

Who could be wanting any paperwork at this time of night? he wondered as he strode over to answer the knocking.

He opened the door and was stunned to see Major Amber standing there. Though she was frowning, his heart fluttered at the sight of her.

"Uh, Major Amber," he stammered, saluting as he moved to allow her passage into the office.

"Sergeant Brossette," she formally saluted back before walking through the door and into the office. "I congratulate you on choosing to remain at your assigned duty until the end of your shift and refraining from sneaking out."

Brossette closed the door after her. "Thank you, ma'am," he responded, slightly embarrassed. How does she know me so well? He had indeed considered leaving early. If any other superior officer besides her had been the one to give the order, he might indeed have disappeared by now.

Skylor removed her cloak and draped it over the back of a chair before facing him.

If the sight of her in her cloak made his heart flutter, the sight of her in a low-cut civilian dress took his breath away. The copper-colored lace-trimmed bodice revealed a lot more of her womanly charms than her uniform did. He swallowed nervously.

"I suppose you're wondering why I'm here," she said, folding her arms across her torso.

"Yes, ma'am," he murmured. She sounded very businesslike. Oh, please, Major, don't assign me any more work tonight! I'm so tired!

"Well, I'm here to tell you why I was upset with you the other night."

Major, I already feel lower than a cocodril's belly about the other night, so please have mercy and be quick...

Resting one of her fists on her hip, she shook the index finger of her other hand at him. "It's because you dared to presume to know what's best for me!"

He supposed he had done so. He looked down at the floor.

"Sergeant, did you know that I am the daughter of General Chen?" she asked.

Brossette's head bobbed up. "You mean THE General Chen? Head of the Third Division?" Fear began to well up in him.

"Yes, THAT General Chen. So, while his military paychecks are not very abundant, over the years he's rubbed elbows with various wealthy citizens of Ninjago, who presented him - and me - with lovely gifts," she continued, poking her index finger into his chest and causing him to step backward.