chapter 9- the accident

Chapter 9- The accident

"I ran to my house. My throat was soothed. I had just been hunting. The early morning sun shone through the clouds. I quietly opened the door to get ready for school. Cody stopped me at the foot of the stairs. His face was serious.

"Cody, what's the matter?" I asked.

"We're going to the hospital. Sophie was in a car crash."

I sat nervously in the back seat of our car. We couldn't run in as it was in the city. It would take about half an hour to get to the hospital in this traffic. I had gotten a bit of info out of Cody. Sophie had been going to school with her mum, dad and Juleous. The car had veered off the frosty road blowing the car up. Her mum and Juleous had died. They didn't know about Sophie or her dad yet. I twitched my fingers together. The only sound I heard was the rumbling of the car engine. The only thought that ran through my mind was Sophie. Had she lived? I know I hadn't given her enough blood to change her. I only gave her a little bit. I then heard the sweet sound of the car engine stopping. I practically leaped out of the car and sprinted as fast as human speed would allow me. I heard Cody and Haldi running behind. I ran to the revolving door and ran inside to a lady at the front desk. The hospital was completely white. It reminded me of the vampire room years ago except, this place had a couple of paintings on the wall.

"I'm looking for Sophie Moretti." I told the lady behind the desk. She typed on her computer. It seemed like ages before she had an answer.

"She is still in the emergency ward. You can go to the waiting room if you want." She pointed towards a big heavy door. It seemed pretty stupid to put heavy doors in a hospital. I raced through them following the signs to a waiting room. I saw Bryanna waiting in one of the chairs. She was staring out a window. I walked over to her.

"Hey." I said, "Can I join you?"

"Sure." I saw tears in her eyes. Her face was red and sticky. A half eaten pie was on the seat on the other side of her.

"I'm sorry I have been such a jerk these last few months. I was just so sad about Molly. Molly, Sophie and I had been best friends since pre-school. Now one of my best friends is dead and the other one maybe dying. I don't know what to do!" she through her hands up in the air. More tears leaked from her eyes.

"Bryanna. I'm sorry about Molly. It was probably harder to see her die too but..."

"How do you know!" she asked in a slightly loud voice. I guess it was time to tell her about me. But then again. Maybe not.

"I heard from someone at school." I lied. "They said you were found hugging Molly in the forest." Uh oh. I just made more tears come. I hugged Bryanna.

"I... err... just have to go to the bathroom." She said as she got up quickly.

"Kay." I saw her leave. I followed closely behind then turned into a door that said emergency ward. I was met by a young nurse with an armful of folders.

"What are you doing back here!" she yelled. Well, not really loudly. Just kind of a stern whisper.

"I was looking for Sophia Moretti." I then read her mind. I saw her walking into room 159 checking Sophie. I snapped back to life.

"I'm sorry. You must leave." I nodded and left hiding behind the door until I didn't hear the nurse anymore. Then I quickly turned around the door using my vampire speed. I ran past the rooms. 132... 147...154...159! I ducked inside quickly. I then stopped. I saw a person lying in the bed with the white sheet covering her. My heart raced. Was that Sophie. I ran quietly over to the bed. I softly lifted the sheet. I saw Sophie's light pale face. Her soft brown hair framing her face on the white hospital pillow. I listened for her warm heart beat. Nothing. I pulled the sheets back more. The left side of her body was crumpled and bleeding. Bandages were tightly wrapped around her body. I then noticed a heart rate machine. It made no sound. Just a line ran along the screen. No heart beat. Sophie. My heart broke all over again. Just like it had when Adrian was taken. Just like the time mum and dad were killed by a vampire sucking the life out of them. Just like Mezzie had been taken by the soldiers. She was one of my closest friends. She was dead. I turned slowly to leave. Then I heard a small beep on the machine. A heart beat. My eyes opened wide. Vampires heart beats every five minutes or so. Had I given her enough blood to change it was her last hope. I waited for what seemed to be forever staring at the machine. Beep. That was all it took. I started taking Sophie out of the machines. I had to take her back to our house. The hospital would find it very interesting to find a vampire in their hospital. I took Sophie in my arms. I saw a window backing onto the forest. I jumped. Landing on the soft moss of the forest.

Cody, Sophie is changing. You need to bring the car around to the back forest. Fast I waited for a response but I didn't need one. I saw our car dodging the trees. I got in and strapped Sophie in next to me. I then remember the squeezing feeling. I undid her seat belt and lay her across the back seat. I held on tight. That might be a bit better. I had been better off. At least I had been changed in the snow. Haldi pushed his foot down on the accelerator and we were off.

As soon as I had laid Sophie on my bed the phone rang. I quickly downstairs and grabbed it.

"Hello?" I said

"Hello is that Elizabeth." Melissa. I knew her voice from anywhere. Her spooky voice like in a horror film.

"Yes." I answered. Cody and Haldi ran u to me to listen.

"I have Bryanna here." I heard Bryanna screaming in the background "I was saying... you will meet me in the centre of the forest at exactly noon. If you and those other two vampires do not show, I will have to kill this little screaming brat here." The phone went dead. She was going to kill me. We stood very still for several minutes. "We are going down there." We all nodded and ran out the door.

We ran through the forest silently. I wasn't concentrating on anything but the field. We could probably run away but Bryanna would then die. We soon got to the field.

"You two go hide. I will fight them off as best I can, then you guys go and get Bryanna. You then need to run away. Hide anywhere." We stared at Haldi. He wanted to risk his life for us. And Bryanna.

"No. I will stay too. Elizabeth go!" Cody had tears in his eyes as he said. I shook my head.

"Well, then" a voice interrupted us. "You will all die." I backed up to a tree. The air suddenly turned cold. I fumbled around in my pockets for the match I had. Melissa did the same. I looked down for just a split second to light the match when Tani and Monica grabbed me. I fought with all my strength. I finally slipped out of their strong arms. They weren't meant to be that strong. I grabbed for anything I could. Tani's long hair. Oopps. That's going to take a while to grow back. I then looked around. Cody was pinned against a tree by Melissa and Haldi was fighting Monica.

"Bye Cody Moonal." Melissa whispered. I pushed past Tani. I grabbed a stick from the soft green grass and swung at Melissa. She ducked quickly and turned on me. Quick as a flash she grabbed the stick off me and was pointing it at my heart. She pulled another match out and set the branch alight. This was it. I closed my eyes waiting for the squeezing pain but it didn't happen. I open my eyes and saw Haldi biting into Melissa's neck. Melissa yelped in pain. I see he wasn't using any pain killers. He was still drinking when Tani and Monica grabbed him from behind. Melissa quickly recovered from the quick bite and stabbed Haldi in his arm with the branch she was still holding alight. Haldi dropped to the floor. Then she turned to us. Haldi would be unconscious for a while. Then a very high pitched scream rang through my ears. It sounded like Bryanna. I started to follow her scream when Monica jumped on me. Her extra human strength was hard to miss. I then looked out the corner of my eye and saw a very pale, very pretty, ghost."