23

CHAPTER 23

The Ryder Clan

APPARENTLY, THE SHADOWED FORM WAS WEARING A BATHROBE AND THE KNIFE SHE THOUGHT IN HER MIND TURNED OUT TO BE A SHOE HELD IN HIS HAND. Mr. Foster was brushing off the remaining dust after deciding he would set up a task for cleaning all of his old shoes from his drawer in the garret room.

"Oh, dad it's you," Lena sighed at ease again as she laid her hand upon her bosom.

"I thought you were someone else."

"Hmph." He grunted and blew another dust away with a poof then he began to polish the shoe.

"What did you think of me as?"

Lena felt a sort of discomfort. "Uh—Nevermind, dad. It's nothing really important."

"Alright then." Mr. Foster shrugged his shoulders.

Relief swept over Lena and she went to sit back to her musing where silence flowed once again at night.

The other day was brought forth in the afternoon when school was over. Little students were driven to ride the sleds over the top of the steep hill in a pile of snow. Each took turns and some rode their sleds with their companion.

The big students or much older students joined them later and settled on their own sleds. Serena and Aileen hopped together on the sled and a general cry came from them when they started to slide down the hill. Down it went in a swift where the wind caught their hair whipping momentarily in the frosty air. The sled went straight below until it reached to the flat ground. The little girls sat up in a peal of girlish laughter and turned their boots on.

"Let's do it again!" cried Aileen breathlessly, then a few seconds of pause she thought of a brilliant idea. "This time let's do a race with the boys," she whispered.

Serena agreed and they trudged along to the same spot from the beginning on top.

"Hey, Dan!" Aileen called the group of boys particularly directing to her twin brother.

"The last one who gets there will have to get rubbed on the face with a snowball," she declared, arching her daring brow. "I bet you can't handle it."

"Pooh, with you two it's so easy!" Dan snorted in response and raised his hand to whistle as he gathered his playmates in a circle. Dan and the boys got the message and they divided themselves where they were hurrying to find an available sled. They were facing each other by now, holding the rope firmly above the snowy hill. Dan and Aileen stuck their tongues out while Serena was straightening herself and lifting her small head behind her friend.