Chapter 60: The latest fashion from Kreamore

Start from the beginning

<———-——————————-<<<

Riley

As soon as I woke up that morning the memory of the newspaper flooded my mind, the realization that everyone knew that I was a chosen child started eating away at me. So far I was prepared for my staff and closest friends to know, but how would my employees at the cafe react and how would everybody in the safe house react? How would Edgar react? How would the rest of the Marcellus family and the Von Esterheim's react?

The anxiety was starting to flood in and I wondered how I had even been able to fall asleep last night.

"Good morning Milady!" Mellie yelled as she busted through my bedroom door with a huge grin on her face.

"Good morning Mellie." I chuckled, completely forgetting about my worries once I saw Mellie's toothy grin. She looked absolutely overjoyed for so early in the morning. "You look very pleased this Morning...?" I questioned her.

"Oh..." she skipped gleefully to my wardrobe, "I'm just happy to be serving a chosen child!" She brimmed with happiness as she opened the cupboard doors as started taking out a few of my garments. I started to frown when I saw how many garments she was taking out. Far too many for me to wear for the day and all of them were my lounging dresses, super comfortable and easy-to-wear dresses that I used for lounging around the house.

"Why are you taking all of those out Mellie?" I asked curiously.

"Oh well..." she began.

"It's for your best interest Milady." Came the proud tone of Agnes as she walked into my bedroom.

"My best interest?" I frowned confused.

"Milady, while we were away on holiday, the renowned Madam La grange had a fashion showcase. In this showcase she introduced a new kind of dress, and as such set the new standard of fashion within Girannon and the entire world. A standard that Milady, a precious chosen child and a godsend for this great kingdom, must adhere to." Agnes said very firmly.

Although what she was saying seemed fine, I had a feeling that I wasn't going to like this new standard of fashion that had been set.

"Last night I wrote to all the major heads of fashion in Kreamore and asked them to send their most beautiful dresses for you..." I blinked feeling quite amazed at Agnes. Really I don't know what I would do without her, she was always so on top of things and she was probably the reason I hadn't become a social outcast by now.

"The garments as well as your dressers will be here shortly. Milady, try and keep an open mind about the garments, although they may be uncomfortable please remember that as the chosen child of Girannon you now represent the kingdom even more than before, so for the Kingdom's sake you must look your best."

I nodded, she was right in a way I guess. The title of a chosen child came with a bunch of other expectations, especially since the Church of magic had made it a rule to teach the entire kingdom about the chosen children. I had attended a few church services and each one had given blessings for the past and still to come chosen children. My position now was even more important than before. And if I wasn't going to act the part and play by all the rules, I should at least look fantastic while doing it. That being said, I wouldn't compromise my comfort or health for restrictive corsets or ridiculously large hoop skirts.

"Don't worry Agnes I'll be open minded. But I won't compromise on my internal organ's safety for a tight corset."

Agnes only sighed before heading over to the cupboard and pulling out one of my fancier dresses.