Chapter 57: Explanations are so hard

"Goodday your Majesty." I greeted the king with a low curtsey.

"Goodday your highness." I greeted Geoffrey with an equally low curtsey.

I took in a deep breath while thinking about how I was supposed to explain this all to them. Somehow I had to explain that I had lied to them and that I was actually a chosen child. I would then have to explain that I met another reincarnated person in the woods who took credit for the demonization of Fitz and could possibly be the culprit behind the series of demonized attacks in all the kingdoms. On top of that I would have to inform them of how powerful said reincarnated person was and that he had some crazy skill that made his opponents freak out when he was around. On top of that I was thinking about telling Geoffrey that I had a tiny little crush on him because at this point I really had nothing to lose!

Sigh...

My heart started pounding viciously in my chest when I saw Geoffrey's face peering up at me curiously, as if my heart was trying to escape so it wouldn't have to witness this awkward encounter.

"Lady Riley... what brings you here?" Geoffrey asked as he got up from his throne chair to properly greet me.

"Oh, nothing major." It was a compulsive and dishonest reply but I just blurted it out. I was beginning to feel my body heat up and consequently started to sweat.

"Lady Riley are you in a good condition?" Geoffrey asked with a concerned expression on his face. He probably noticed how red I was getting.
"Should I fetch some refreshments for you? Perhaps a damp cloth?"

Geoffrey was just about to call to one of his butlers to get me something to cool down, when I stopped him.

"No, I'm fine. Just a little nervous I guess." I smiled awkwardly while rubbing the tense knot that had formed in my left shoulder.

"Nervous?" Came the King's deep and gravelly voice, reminding me of his Majesty's presence.

"Why would you be nervous Lady Delton?" His question felt more accusatory than a normal question, enough so to make my cheeks turn red under the stress of his gaze. On top of that, it felt so strange to be directly addressed by the king and I suddenly felt the need to bow before him and kiss his ring in submission, a feeling completely unfamiliar to me. For the first time I noticed how intense the King's eyes were as he stared at me, waiting for a reply. The eyes were possibly even more probing than Geoffrey's eyes.

"I actually have something to confess your majesty..." I began, taking in a long shaky breath as I felt my knees begin to wobble.

"To confess...?" Geoffrey frowned, his expression growing even more concerned.

"I just wanted to regretfully inform you..." I gulped loudly on my dry throat, only feeling more parched as the air flooded in. But it was better to just get this all over with and then deal with the consequences. But still I felt so nervous, so nervous in fact that I ended up blurting out everything I wanted to say at once.

"... I am what you would call a chosen child."

I squinted my eyes at the father-son pair. I was waiting for some big rage-induced reaction wherein they would hurl their golden rings at me for lying to their royalnesses, but instead I was met with radio silence.