Chapter 2 ~ Reunited

Start from the beginning

She sighed, looked up at him to see he was already staring down on her, his intense blue eyes shining in the silver light of the moon. She gulped and clenched her fists. "Why?"

~

His heart pumped three times the speed it normally did. Being here, next to her felt so familiar, so that wasn't the reason for his racing heart. But the pain and confusion laced in that one word, that was what broke him.

He stayed quiet for a good minute, thinking of an answer. Because he knew exactly what she had asked with that single word.

"Honestly Ana, I don't have an answer for that. I think..I think life came in between? I needed to learn how to fight, how to read, how to fly. How to be a citizen of Velaris. I have been visiting whole Prythian." "But you couldn't visit me?" It sounded more like a hiss, a sound drenched with irritation.
He sighed, the warmth of the castle wrapping around him, as they finally walked inside.

"You know what, you're right. There isn't a single excuse or reason good enough. I didn't visit, I left my friend, and I am so sorry." He stopped her in the hallway, scanning her magnificent face.
A sigh of relief left his tense body as her golden ringed eyes softened. "Ah, it's okay, I understand. I could've visited you too, but I've been busy as well." She smiled. "All is good?" He asked. "Definitely! Now, let's catch up on ten years," she said before she pulled him up the stairs.

~

She hid an eye roll as she heard footsteps on the stairs. She knew who it was, even before she saw him. "Where do you think you're going with that boy?"

Ciana crossed her arms, copying Aedion's motion. She raised her brow as he tried to look all stern. He eventually sighed, smiling at her. "Being a strict uncle isn't my thing, is it?" Ciana laughed and patted Aedion on his shoulder and she walked past him. "No, it's not. But that's why I love you, uncle."

Aedion let his niece walk past him, but stopped Brion. "Glad to see you back again. Now that you've aged a few years, just a fair warning. Stay away from Rowan if you want to keep your life and keep your hands to yourself boy." He winked at the relaxed looking Brion and strode off, looking for his wife.

~

Brion entered her room. Memories hit him in the face.
He looked at the huge bed and saw two 4 year old jumping together. He looked at the bookshelf, saw how his 6 years old self let them go up in dust by accident, still felt Ciana's wrath.
He looked at the curtains, at the balcony and saw an eleven and a ten years old looking out over the garden, talking and laughing together. It had been their last day together, in a very long time.
He smiled at all the memories and as he looked to the woman beside him, he knew she thought the same.

A hour later, and the two of them sat on the bed, like old times. Only now his wings draped over the bed. They had caught up on so much already, wanting to pour every day of ten years into a minute. "So, you understand, that I want a birthday cake for all the birthdays that you missed. Which, if I count correctly, are ten whole cakes my friend!"
He laughed and clipped his fingers. The surprise and shock on her face was worth everything.

~

Her eyes grew wide as ten chocolate cake appeared on the bed. "By the Wyrd," she muttered. She looked at him, a smug smile on his lips. "Need a fork, or are you gonna eat with your hands?" Ciana snorted. "Pfff, what do you think?" She smiled at him before she dipped a finger in the chocolate and moaned loud.