Chapter Eighteen: Shrooms

Still Tuesday

I stare the my lens at the designs within the tree bark. How could I have missed something so simple? The intricate browns mixed with black, green, and bugs.

"You really like trees, huh?" I spin around and scrape my elbow on the tree. I stifle the pain as I smile at Dominic. I'm not a tree-hugger.

"No, I was just curious, about," I look back at the tree then point, "This small blue mushroom."

"Oh, yeah, they're neat, I suppose." He shrugs. I go to touch the bottom of the mushroom, hoping it'll turn a different color, "I wouldn't do that!"

"Why not?" I ask, pulling my finger back. A flash of remembrance crosses my brain, deja vu once again.

"They're poisonous." Dominic says.

"Oh, right." I shrug and walk away from the tree. Dominic follows me. There's not that many other people here. Just the six of us, two girls chatting giddily (probably trying to get out of detention), and some guy with a hoodie on. I don't blame him, it's kind of chilly.

"So, how long have you liked photography?"

"Oh, I don't know. A few weeks maybe?" I shrug not actually remembering.

"Ah, cool, cool." Dominic nods. He pauses to take a picture of an orange butterfly.

A little bit later we wrap up our photo taking and head back inside the school. I follow my friends to the bus stop. I glance at Phoenix and Vincent talking in hushed whispers about something. To my other side Raven and Dominic are...making fun of Lilyth? Ramian smiles at me when I make eye contact with him. I smile back. There's a few other students around us who have missed their bus, had some club, or what not. The guy in the hoodie is nowhere to be seen. Curious.

The bus pulls up and we all pile in. I take a seat next to a window, Ramian joins me. The bus starts up and we're bouncing home. Through the ride I can't help thinking of the end of this coming time. At some point I'm going to die and Dominic is going the change the world. I just wish I could remember everything that happened faster. I sigh.

In no time I'm at my stop and I get off. I wave to Dominic as he heads the other way before going to my house. I open the door and peer inside, seeing no one I slip in. The door shuts quietly behind me. I'm pretty sure Heather and Jay are somewhere around here. I glimpse at the clock on the wall. Kate should be here in a bit, if the timeline stays true.

I rush up to my room to knock out homework. Luckily, I've already done it in an opposite world and I've had it graded. I know all the right answers. Shh...it's not cheating.

Knock. Knock.

That's her. Kate is here to ask if I want to get milkshakes. I head over to my bedroom door and open it. Behind the door is my sorta short blonde friend. She smiles slightly when she sees me.

"Hey, Kate." I say.

"Hey, Caroline."

"What's up?"

"Not much, I was coming to see if you want to go get milkshakes?"

"Yeah, sounds great." I nod. I change my shoes and grab a jacket quickly before following her downstairs, out the front door. I sit in the passenger side of her car. She cranks it up and we pull away from my house.

"Why doesn't anyone else drive to school?" I ask suddenly.

"Well, I can drive to school because I recently turned seventeen and got my license." She points out.

"Yes, I know that, but I mean like Logan is seventeen and he doesn't drive to school." I say.

"Because he wants to ride the bus with Ramian." Kate says.

"Why?" I question. She snorts, but doesn't reply, "Well, why couldn't he just drive Ramian?"

"His dad won't let him." Kate replies.

"Why not?" I ask. She glances at me and sighs.

"You should just ask him." She says.

"Fine," I shrug," What about Keaton? He's seventeen."

"Keaton can barely stay awake on the bus." Kate reasons.

"That's true." We take a sharp turn and I hit the door of her car, "Ow."

"Sorry."

"What about Phoenix?"

"Stop asking questions." Kate says.

"Why?"

"Because I can't focus. Do you want us to wreck?"

"No." I pout and stare out the window.

"Thank you." Kate says. In a few more minutes we pull up to the parking lot of the diner,

"We're here, let's go get some food!" That instantly puts my spirits high again. Food is always the remedy of sadness. I follow Kate inside and we pick a booth next to the front window. I can see her car from where I sit. Not much entertainment, but it's something. I mean I'll be able to see if someone steals her car, I guess.

"What do you want to order?" Kate asks, drawing my attention back to her.

"Cheeseburger and vanilla raspberry shake." I say instantly.

"With fries?"

"Of course!"

"What about tots?"

"Both." She snorts, but nods in agreement.

"Ooh! Can I also get red velvet ca-"

"Do not say cake."

"But I-"

"No. You can only get pie."

"Fine, can I get blackberry or blueberry pie if they have it?"

"Yes."

"Thanks." I stick my tongue out at her. The waitress comes over to us and we order. I try to slip cake in, but Kate shoots missiles at me, changing my mind. The waitress disappears, leaving Kate and me to stare at each other. I suddenly remember the conversation about to happen when our food gets here. My stomach does a few flips and I begin to regret coming for food. Oh, how she can bribe me. Kate smiles evilly and I dread the moment my food arrives, which is an odd thing to do.