33

I'm free as a bird
When I'm flying in your cage
I'm diving in deep
And I'm riding with no brakes
And I'm bleeding in love
You're swimming in my veins
___________________

PEOPLE LIKE describing touch with sparks and butterflies. And yes, it's those things. But I've always felt like there's more. Can this feeling even be boxed inside simple words like "sparks" and "butterflies"?

When you're in that moment, you don't want to care. Cause all you see is him. All you feel is him. All you breathe in is him. And it's so captivating and exhilarating that every kiss feels like the first one.

And it's been months now since we've been together. But I don't think it's ever been this clear that I was so deeply in love with everything that he was.

He was real. Not an illusion. And he was mine.

It started as a feeble crush. A bubbly feeling. A childish squeal of delight. An awkward glimpse. He was someone new and exciting. But the feeling grew more real and intense over time. You know you're in love when you feel safe and comfortable in his arms. When being with him made you love yourself more. An intoxicating feeling. A beautiful hum of delight. An affectionate glance.

He still wanted to kiss me. Even after what I did to him. He had more faith in us than I've ever had.

Don't let it slip through your fingers! She told me.

So I won't.

I kissed him one last time, before pulling away. My hands stayed on both sides of his face and I stroked his cheek gently. He was smirking ever so lightly, as if saying I knew you'd come back.

"Is this okay?" I asked.

"Hm?"

I squeezed my eyes shut. "Do I get another chance after how bad I hurt you?- and I know I hurt you so badly, Carlos. I get it if you don't want to-"

Then I felt his hand on my cheek, and I automatically opened my eyes again.

He said very slowly and clearly "Brae, I would rather have you break my heart over and over again, than be with anyone else."

I smiled, then leaned against his hand and hummed in content.

"I'm never doing that to you again." I said with the certainty of my entire being.

He laughed. "Please don't..." He paused, then turned to me with another smirk. "Baby."

"Ugh." I swatted him away and he bursted into laughter. "No. No. Disgusting." I stood up and playfully placed my hands on my hips. "You know I hate it when couples call each other baby. No offense to them, but baby only works in love songs."

He was doubling over in laughter. "So no cliche stuff, love?"

"To an extent, I guess? But you already know that."

Well, at least he should know. Why else would he be calling me love instead of baby? He knew me more than anyone. I couldn't help but smile at him.

Suddenly there was a scuffle of leaves and we looked down to the lake to see Mal and Ben with a picnic basket. I slapped my hand against my forehead, realizing this is the enchanted lake Mal always talked about. Carlos turned to me, surprised. I motioned for him to leave, not wanting to interrupt Mal and Ben's date.

But just as Carlos was about to scramble onto his feet, he slipped off the small cliff.

Mal and Ben was startled when a boy fell from the sky and dropped into the water near them with a giant splash. I gasped, arm outstretched, then started laughing hysterically.