20

Look - now I know,
we could've done it better
But we can't change the weather
When the weather's come and gone
________________

"WHY DOES wearing this make me feel like I'm sixteen again?" Mal laughed a little as she ran her gloved fingers over the little button spikes on her sleeveless jacket.

"Because you were wearing that when you were sixteen." I stated the obvious, "And now you're seventeen."

"I know you gave me a whole lecture, Brae, but is this completely necessary?" Emma asked from in front of the mirror, "Leather really isn't my thing."

"If you don't want to be skinned alive, a little leather won't do any harm." Mal answered, placing a hand on her shoulder.

I started going through my bag.

"Did you pack the flashlights?" Mal asked.

"Shoot. I forgot."

"It's okay. We can fetch them on the way out." Mal flicked her hand at me.

"It's almost midnight." Emma noted.

"Yeah. Evie's asleep and Ben has spread the word that we've gone on some camping trip." Mal informed us, "It's a crappy excuse but Jane managed to back it up."

My stomach dropped at the sound of Jane. I trusted her too. How could she do this to me?

I shook it off.

"Gather your stuff, ladies." Mal said, obviously ready for action, "We're leavin'."

I threw my bag over my shoulder and checked in with Emma, who didn't look fazed at all. Quite impressive considering the fact we're about to set foot on the Isle.

Emma opened the door slowly, trying not to make a sound as she eyed Evie's bedroom door. The three of us piled out.

Mal was in front of me. "Okay, flashlights..." Suddenly, she froze.

Standing at the door was none other than Evie, arms crossed and her steady gaze on us. She was in her Isle outfit, a couple of flashlights in her hand.

Busted.

There was a moment of silence until Mal sighed.

"You knew." She said. It wasn't a question. It was a statement.

"I knew." Evie replied a little bitterly, "Heard you guys talking in the kitchen. Why'd you think I sent Dizzy on a sleepover?" She approached me and I let her put the flashlights in my bag.

"Sorry." I said quietly, "We should've told you."

"Whatever. Let's go." She huffed, not giving us any further explanation.

Emma and I exchanged a look, then followed Evie out the door. Taking the dimmer lit paths, the four of us tiptoed towards the castle, where the tunnel was located.

"How're you planning on getting past the guards?" Emma asked warily at the sight of the intimidating structure.

"Ben has it taken care of." Mal replied.

"Oh so Ben is involved in this?" Evie said disapprovingly.

"Yes, my boyfriend is involved." Mal answered, a tad irritated.

Not in the right mood to address their attitude, I lead the group along the castle walls, surprised by the lack of security, and down the stone slabs until we got to the back of the castle. The tunnel looked cold and dark. I handed out the flashlights.

"Onward." Mal announced under her breath, taking her first step into the tunnel and motioning for us to come.

I made sure Emma was in front of me so I could keep sight of her. The light from our flashlights illuminated the walls and awakened a few rats who scurried away. Water dripped from the ceiling and onto the rocky ground.

Drip. Drop. Drip.

And for a long while, it was the only sound that accompanied our cautious footsteps.

It was damp and dirty and I let the filth pool my boots because it was only gonna get worse on the Isle. There was definitely tension between us, especially now that we have a fourth unexpected member of the group. I didn't know who owes who an explanation anymore.

"Great." Mal said suddenly, stopping in her tracks and throwing her hands up, "Crossroads."

I peered over their shoulders. Two ways to go, zero signs.

"Left." Evie said.

Mal raised an eyebrow at her. "How're you so sure?"

"I do research before I go on 'adventures', M." Evie replied, making no eye contact as she continued walking.

Mal rolled her eyes and looked at me, as if saying What's her problem?

With no good answer, I shrugged.

We played follow the leader for the rest of the way behind Evie, who said absolutely nothing and effortlessly took us to the Isle. I didn't expect the system of tunnels to be so widely spread apart.

Suddenly, Evie grabbed onto a ladder and pulled herself up. I helped push Emma up the opening, then climbed up myself.

Here we are. The Isle. I was slightly stunned that it actually worked. We were inside the barrier. The ally we ended up in was hidden and blocked with a piled of wood nailed to the opening. I looked up. Familiar gray gloomy sky. The shouts of angry salesmen. Metal and bulldrums clanging in the distance.

Fantastic.

"Alright." Evie said, turning around to finally face us, "So? What now? Do you have the keys for the lockdown?" She was sour.

"No." Mal answered stiffly, brushing herself off, "But I know who can help us."

"Who?" I asked.

"Uma."

"Who's Uma?" Emma asked.

"A close friend. Daughter of Ursula."

"So we're seeing Uma. Again." Evie said, placing her hands on her hips, "Like every other time we have a problem."

"Uma's one of the most resourceful- You know what, E?" Mal shot back, "If that's your attitude, why did you even tag along?"

"Because it's clear you haven't think things through!" Evie exclaimed, pointing behind her, "You didn't even know where you were going in those tunnels and your only plan is to see what help Uma can offer. Do you even have a plan to avoid the parents when you enter the lockdown? And you're going after Hades. You're gonna get yourself killed."

"You've got a better idea to break the curse?" Mal fired back.

Emma shifted uncomfortably in her place. She was engulfed in new, strange surroundings and Mal and Evie's bickering wasn't exactly hospitality.

"Guys." I came between them, "For god's sake, stop it. I've never seen you two fight."

Especially Evie.

"Uma's." Mal tutted, turning away, "Let's get a move on."

___________________
Random shoutout to Shadowthepan for the comment spam lmao