26

Ifollow you around, I always have
But you've gone to a place I cannot find
This grief has a gravity
It pulls me down
___________________

"I- I SHOULD'VE told you." I choked, "I should've told you. I thought-"

"Hey- hey, breathe." Evie reminded, kneeling beside me.

"I thought- Carlos-" I forced myself to look up at them. They were patient, waiting, confused. Uma, who already knew what was about to happen, said nothing. "Maleficent- she spelled me. Illusion. When I had the spell book." Everything was coming out in fragments. "I saw Carlos kiss Jane."

Mal's jaw dropped, then she stilled, letting go of my hands.

"I saw Carlos kiss Jane. But- but it wasn't Carlos. It wasn't."

Evie was kneeling, but she flopped down on the ground in defeat at my words.

"It was an illusion- Maleficent- I-" I choked again, then big fat tears escaped and I was suddenly a bawling mess, "I was stupid. I thought he was kissing Jane. I was scared. I didn't want to confront him. I didn't want to confront anyone. I just wanted to forget it happened. So I-" I turned to Mal. "So I said go to the Isle. I wanted to run away. I didn't want to face it. I thought-"

Mal lunged forward and wrapped her arms around my shaking body. "Oh, Brae..." Her voice was muffled into my shoulder.

Seeing her react like this instead of being upset at me made me cry even harder. And soon I was reduced to nothing but sharp intakes of breath and tears.

"It's not your fault." Mal said, "Not your fault. Maleficent tricked you. She used you. That's why she knew you were coming. You didn't know what to think."

My face was burning with frustration. "I could've just told Carlos- the real Carlos, and- and we wouldn't have walked right into Maleficent's trap." I managed between heaves.

"No. Stop." Mal released me, and when I finally got to see her face, I realized she was crying too, "If anything, it was my fault. I should've told you about Hades. If I did, we would've been more cautious when we came in." She hung her head down. "About him being my father... I just didn't want anyone to know... It was bad enough to be Maleficent's evil little daughter. I didn't want to be Hades' daughter too, you know..."

She took a deep breath, then made eye contact with all of us.

"I'm sorry." Mal said truthfully and determinedly, "I should've come clean..." She paused. "From now on, no more secrets. We tell each other everything."

I took a deep breath, wiping away my tears. "Everything." I echoed.

Evie's face was downcast, staring at the dirty ground. She was oddly quiet for a minute or two, then she confessed "I was eavesdropping... when you two were in the kitchen."

Mal and I turned at her.

Evie shook her head, looking like guilt just punched her in the stomach. "I was eavesdropping before I realized you two were planning on going to the Isle." She continued, "I was going to stop you, but- I was just so angry..."

Angry?

"When you two started going on your fun adventures without me." Evie said quietly, "I felt like you were distancing. You kept making your own plans without even telling me. You know..." She raised her hands to do air quotes. "The dynamic adventure duo."

I felt horrible.

"And, Brae, when you needed me for advice about Carlos..." Evie said, "I was- so happy that you came to me. But as soon as I talked you through it, you left and next thing I knew, you were all in the cafeteria eating ice cream without me." She paused, then continued hesitantly. "And, I broke up with Doug."

"What?" Mal said, "Why?"

"He came in two days ago, accusing me of sleeping with Happy's son." Evie made a face. "His own cousin! I don't know where he got that idea from, but I didn't feel comfortable with him anymore after that so... yeah I've been a complete mess."

"Evie." I reached for her hand. "I'm so sorry. So sorry. I was so caught up in my own problems. I didn't check on you... I was selfish."

"I'm sorry too, Evie." Mal said worriedly, "I should've thought about you."

Evie exhaled loudly, then looked up at us, smiling a little. "You're forgiven, okay? Both of you. I shouldn't have kept it to myself. And I'm sorry for how I acted when we came to the Isle. I was just... angry."

"And understandably so." I answered, "I'm sorry."

Uma spoke up. "Okay this is cute and all, but if y'all start singing some sappy friendship song, I'm out. Cell or no cell."

We laughed. Uma had chose a perfect timing to lighten the mood. She broke into a wicked grin.

"Oh, and just so you know, I knew all about fake Carlos kissing fake Jane. Brae chose to tell me last night." She got close to Mal's face and smirked. "Always one step ahead of you." She teased.

Mal rolled her eyes. "Wow, shrimpy, you're so funny I almost forgot to laugh."

My heart was overflowing. Yes, I was still a mess. I was still confused and upset. But somehow they made it bearable and I love them for that.

I still had to face Carlos after this.

Suddenly, we heard Maleficent cry "Welcome! I see that girl delivered the message".

The four of us looked at each other. We couldn't see the commotion. Was she welcoming-

Jay's voice rang out. "Bold of you to pick on a fifteen year old." He tutted, "Here's the wand. But first I want my friends back."

I clasped my hand over my mouth and shared panicked glances with the rest of the girls. They brought the wand!? How did they even get their hands on it!? Surely, Fairy Godmother would've denied it.

"Aww, son." We heard Jafar say, "You stole the wand for us? How thoughtful. Maybe you still have a little of the Isle in you."

We obviously couldn't see what was going on, but I can picture Jay scoffing at his dad.

"Hand it over." Maleficent said.

"I want my friends back." Jay repeated firmly.

There was no sound of Carlos, which I was both relieved and puzzled about. Did he come?

There was a sound of snarling which I didn't understand until I remembered Maleficent was still 'borrowing' one of Hades' giant dogs.

Mal urgently tapped my shoulder and I turned to her. "Whatever happens, I bet Maleficent isn't gonna let us without a fight. So be ready." She said.

Uma stood up, hands curled into fists. "I don't have my sword anymore, but I can definitely throw a punch."

Makes the two of us.

I stood up too, taking a deep breath and telling myself to forget about the whole Carlos illusion. That's the least of my worries right now. If we had to fight the parents on the way out, we had to be ready.

"If they play their cards well, they come out of the cell!"

That must've been a spell. Cause with a flash of green, my legs gave out beneath me and we were magically transported into another room.

____________________
vote if you're mad at my cliffhangers and want another chapter LOL ;)