6

Baby it hit so hard,
I'm holding on to my chest
Maybe you left your mark,
reminding me to forget
___________________

"BRAELYN..." My mom sighed, trying to find the best answer to my question, "I was forced off the Isle."

"Forced how?"

"Maleficent forced me."

I felt Mal go stiff next to me.

"Maleficent took me hostage, then demanded I get off the Isle and retrieve Fairy Godmother's wand for her. She was convinced no one would come looking for me since I was new and the only connection I had was with a baby. This was almost sixteen years ago." She swallowed, "They snatched you out of my arms."

I tried keeping my thoughts organized. "B-but still. How'd you get off the Isle?"

Mal spoke up. "Maleficent's magic isn't completely shut off on the Isle, though people think it is. I wouldn't be surprised if she managed to make a crack in the barrier- just for half a second."

Or it could've been that half a second Carlos interfered with the barrier with his old inventions.

Brisa nodded, unaware that the purple haired girl sitting in front of her was Maleficent's daughter.

"Of course, when I got out, I went against her word." Brisa continued, "I knew Maleficent's magic can't get through the barrier. She couldn't reach me. So I went into hiding. And I've been hiding ever since. Not long after... I married someone, and then I had Emma. Brisa is my new identity."

It hurt to hear her talk about her life without me so casually. Before I knew it, I was crying.

"And you didn't come back for me?" I sniffled, hating myself for looking so weak.

I could tell that question sent a shiver of remorse up her spine.

"I- I thought you were dead, Braelyn." Brisa answered softly, "You were just a baby. I figured they killed you off... and I couldn't let the opportunity of freedom slip through my fingers."

"So you went and married another man and had another kid to replace me." I retorted, feeling the anger surface.

Both Brisa and Emma fell awkwardly silent.

"I bet you didn't even give me a second of thought as soon as you stepped off the Isle." I stood up.

The fact that she didn't even try to deny it sent tears streaming down my face. The tone had changed so drastically over minutes.

Emma was leaning against the armchair, face downcast. Brisa stared at me.

"I'm sorry if I'm being dramatic." I said, doing air quotes, "But about half a year ago, I accepted the fact that I'll never have a mom in my life anymore. And now you're telling me I could have, but she didn't want me."

"Braelyn-"

Every time my name came out of her mouth, I felt like throwing up.

"Do you want to go?" Mal asked me, cutting her off.

I squeezed her hand, thankful that she was putting my well being first. "It's okay. I want to hear what she has to say."

"Please don't go." Emma pleaded, "We need you here."

I sat back down, wiping my tears. "Why would you need me here?" I said bitterly.

"Listen, please." Brisa said, sitting up, "About five months ago, I came home and found my husband, Jon, cursed. There was a note on the door signed by Maleficent, saying that she'll only reverse the spell if I get you to bring her pocket watch to her."