11

When the lights come up and there's no shadows dancin'
I look around as my heart is collapsin'
'Cause you're the only one I need
To put a little love on me
_____________________

"WHERE'S JAY?" I asked when Emma and I found the group again.

"Apparently Lonnie called him upset." Evie answered, frowning, "He went to check on her."

I mirrored her frown. "I hope everything's okay."

"Yeah me too." She replied worriedly, "Jay said he'll update us about it later."

"So." Mal spoke up after a brief moment of silence, "Y'all ready to leave?"

"It's almost dinner time!" Carlos singsonged, then hurriedly added "Please tell me you're cooking, Evie, cause the cafeteria food..."

We laughed when he made a face.

"Yes, yes, Carlos." Evie grinned, "I'm cooking."

"Blueberry pancakes?" Mal asked hopefully.

I lit up too.

"You had blueberry pancakes this morning!" Evie answered, grinning widely and hand on her hip, "You children are just lost without my motherly guidance." She added dramatically.

We started walking back to the cottage. A couple people who passed us said hello. It's been months. Most people were used to us by now.

"Do you think my mom is okay?" Emma asked when we entered back into the cottage.

I gave her a small smile, trying to dismiss the awkwardness of bringing our mom up again. "I think Fairy Godmother has her occupied and taken care of."

"I've never been away from home for so long." She said.

Carlos frowned. "But it's only been a couple hours."

"Like I said- never been away for so long."

A girl with dark framed glasses sat at the coffee table, making another one of her bead bracelets. She looked delighted when we came in.

"Hey Diz." Mal greeted.

"Hi!"

She was always so giggly around us. I find it very endearing.

"Dizzy, this is Em." I said, turning slightly towards Emma and motioning towards each girl, "Em, this is Dizzy."

"Nice to meet-" Emma started politely, but was immediately cut off by a bone crushing hug.

"Hi!" Dizzy giggled, before releasing her and grabbing her hand, "You're just in time. We can make friendship bracelets!"

"Oh." Emma broke into a smile, "Okay."

"Alright." Evie laughed, "You two can have your fun. I have dinner to prepare."

"We'll help." Carlos offered and I nodded too.

"It's just simple spaghetti." Evie said, "But thank you."

Mal, Evie, Carlos and I crowded the kitchen. Things can only go wrong when all of us were in the kitchen.

I was right.

In less than ten minutes, Mal had spilled the sauce all over herself and playfully wiped her hands on Carlos' shirt.

"Hey! This is white!" Carlos yelled, before grabbing the oven mitt off the counter and throwing it at her.

Mal laughed, dirty hands stretched out in front of her. "Who wants some spaghetti sauce?" She singsonged, then wiggled her eyebrows at me.