19

I laugh, Laugh when I am weak
I see, when you walk over me
Do you think, that I can't feel a thing?
I wish I was hardwired, to feel nothing
__________________

"I'M SURPRISED you changed your mind." Mal said.

Trust me, I'm surprised too.

"I just think if we have a chance to reverse the curse, we might as well take it." I paused before asking. "So the whole Fairy Godmother thing didn't get anywhere, huh?"

Mal crossed her arms and leaned against the bedroom wall. "She tried sounding hopeful. But yeah, she was getting no where and I feel bad cause she looked so disappointed."

"Okay." I said, getting up from my spot on the floor, "I guess we're leaving midnight."

Mal raised her eyebrows at me. "I'd like to know the reason to that urgency."

I already rehearsed my answer in my head about a dozen times now.

"I'm letting you keep your secret about your past, now I'm asking you to let me keep mine."

Mal made a face. "Fine." She said reluctantly, "If you're sure you wanna go, then let's do it. So... midnight?"

"Midnight." I echoed in confirmation, "Do you really think Hades will hand it over? I don't want to fight him."

"We're not fighting him. He owes me something, remember?" She brushed it off, pulling her phone out. "Start packing then. I'm gonna text Ben. He'll cover for us."

"Oh and 'us' includes me, you and Em."

Mal's head snapped up at me. "What?"

"I told her we're going and she wants to come."

"Brae, it's gonna be dangerous."

"I know." I answered, "She knows too."

Mal just stared at me.

I added "She's willing to risk it for her dad. I don't want her sitting here feeling powerless."

"Fine." Mal said again, "Phew. You have a lot going on, Isle Orphan."

"Mhm."

You have no idea.

I left Mal in our room and headed to the living room, where Dizzy and Emma were decorating the second batch of cookies. My sister looked up at me, expecting an answer. I nodded, then raised a finger to my lips. She broke into a smile, nodded, and went back to the blue and purple icing.

Evie was wiping the flour coated countertops when I came in.

"Sorry it took so long-"

"It's fine." Evie answered dismissively.

"I'll help you clean up."

Evie smiled but I sensed awkwardness, looking up and flicking her blue hair over her shoulder. "Wash the cookie cutters, would ya?"

Their was stiffness in her movements.

"Sure." I scanned the kitchen and saw them laying by the sink.

"Oh and by the way, Carlos called."

I felt my blood run cold, almost dropping the heart shaped cutter. I was so focused on our new mission-

"He said you blocked him and he got worried."

I turned to Evie and opened my mouth, but it took a second for the words to form.