Chapter 24 :- (Impending Doom)

After Professor Oak finally departed, leaving Serena with Steven to keep her safe, the duo headed out of the airport back to the headquarters of the Devon Corporation.

Back in the Headquarters:-

They sat in their respective couches while sipping in some tea as an eerie silence bloomed throughout the room.

"So Serena?"

This caught the attention of the honey-blonde girl as she raised her eyes to meet his with a questioning look.

"What's up to Steven?"

"Well, since Professor had left, do you have plans while you're still here? I mean, pretty ladies like you can't just sit around doing nothing right?", said Steven as he gave his signature smile that flattered many teens in Hoenn.

"Now that you reminded me, I wanted to ask you a favor and devote some time for me if that isn't too much to ask of you, " said Serena as she looked at him straight in the eye.

"Go right ahead. You've heard the phone call a while back right? I'm completely free for this entire month from work, " said Steven confidently.

"Well, I need you to train me, Steven. I know that Ash is a really powerful trainer and can hold off on his own.

But, I don't want to be a burden for him that weighs him down. It's time I wanna do something on my own. I need to get strong and I ask you to help me. So will you accept it?"

Serena had a worried look on her face as she scanned his face for any signs of discomfort about her request.

However, after a moment, a beaming smile was clearly visible on his face which eased her nerves a bit.

"Sure thing Serena. In fact, I was wondering when you'd ask that. I'll definitely help you to get stronger. But for now, let's have a little chat, " replied Steven while seeing the obvious smile on her face.

"So, What do you wanna talk about anyway, Mr. Champion?" said Serena with a little wink.

"Finally showing your sides are you? We will see how long will that wink last. So, how did you meet Ash anyway?"

Steven could clearly see the sudden change in her facial expressions just at the mention of the name of her crush. God, he really loved teasing her.

"It was when I was 7 years old. My mom enrolled me into a summer camp conducted by Professor Oak in the Kanto region. I was scared of Pokemon and being alone back then so badly that I couldn't mix well with any other kid in the camp.

That was the third day of camp and Professor took us to the nearby forest to watch wild Pokemon in their own habitat. I got lost quite easily due to my pace and before I knew it, I was sitting in the middle of dense trees and crying uncontrollably.

A Poliwag then just jumped out of the bushes and scared the hell out of me. After that, he came and saw me crying due to my scrapped knee. He took out his handkerchief and wrapped it around my knee and muttered some magic words, " said Serena fondly remembering her first experience.

"Magic words you say? What are those?"

Steven was clearly curious about her little incident and meeting with Ash.

"I clearly remember them even now. He said, Feel better, Feel better right away and gave me his hand. I took it and we walked towards the camp together.

I wanted to return his handkerchief ever since. To be honest, he was the main reason why I took off on a Pokémon journey in the first place.

And, that's how I first met Ash, " said Serena after taking a breath.