Chapter 3: Remember

Start from the beginning

Annabeth POV

I gasped for air, as I was pounded again and again. Today had started out horrible. Helen had told father what I had said to Percy and the others and now I was getting beaten up mercilessly. "That's what you get you impudent child!"
"Please." I gasped. "I-I'm sorry."
"Of course, you're sorry!" Helen cried. "But that's not gonna make it less painful."
"STOP!" I turned around to see Matthew and Bobby in the doorway. "Don't hurt her."

"Matt, Bobby, go to school now. Okay? Don't worry about me." I croaked.
"But-"
"No buts! Please guys."
"Actually." Began my dad. "They can join you."
"No!" I quickly scrambled up from the ground and stood in front of the twins. "Quickly go to school and don't look back take a twenty from my purse and use that to buy lunch. Hurry. Helen and dad are drunk so they'll fall asleep soon. Don't worry."
They obeyed and ran out.

I got slapped again and punched on my eye.
"You know what." Helen began. "I've always wanted to try this." She took a belt from dad and came forward. I crawled back until I hit the wall and winced. "Take of your shirt." She ordered. I whimpered but obeyed. I felt a searing pain in my back and the belt made contact with my skin.
One.
Two.
Three.
Four.
Five.
Six.
Seven.
Eight.
Nine.
Ten.

Suddenly they stopped I slowly turned around to see both parents lying unconscious on the floor. I sighed in relief and heaved myself up. I cleaned all the cuts but now I would have to limp and I wouldn't be able to run because of my back. Every step I took, my back and leg flared up. I quickly got dressed into a short black skirt, a thin, burgundy sweater, black tights and some boots. This outfit was not for winter at all, but it was the only thing I had. Helen had left this outfit in my wardrobe and confiscated the rest. I quickly grabbed my bag and peeked out the window. There was no one there except a huge car and a boy walking on the pavement. I threw my bag down and jumped onto the tree. I started climbing down but fell on my back. Holy- Fudge! Think of sweets, Fudge, chocolate, gummy bears... The pain was unbearable and I heaved myself up off the floor and started walking.

I was absolutely freezing and the sweater was so thin, that the cold air went inside. I clutched my bag tightly and carried on walking. The boy from before came past me and pushed me to the floor. My eyes brimmed with tears, I collected myself and looked up, to freeze again. It was Matt Sloan. Another bully. "Hey Annie." He said. "Thinking about dying soon? I'm waiting patiently so the world can be rid or you." He sauntered away and I hugged my knees to myself and sobbed. I can't take it anymore. I wish I still had friends. I remembered the day they all ditched me.

Flashback:

It was two months after my tenth birthday and Thalia and Bianca were leaving the country. "I'll miss you." I said to them tearfully.
"We'll miss you too." they said and hugged me.
"You'll come back, won't you?"
"Of course, we will," Thalia said. "Won't we, Bee?"
Bianca nodded her head and hugged me again.
"Call us every day and tell us whatever Helen does, understand?" She said. I nodded and waved them off as they boarded their plane.

"Will you miss them?" I asked Percy, Nico and Jason.
"'Course we will 'Beth." Percy said.
"But since our sisters are gone, you'll be our sister, okay?" Nico said. I happily agreed. I had always wanted a big brother, and now I had three!

Xoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxo-le-line-break-xoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxo

"Percy!" I cried. "Nico! Jason! Someone bullied me."
"What did they say?" Nico asked?
"That I should go die."
They smirked.
"Was it Matt Sloan?"
I nodded.

They went up to him, with me following close behind. All my other girl friends were already there.
"Yo Matt!" Jason shouted out. "Nice job!"
I was confused. Matt bullied me, and they weren't doing anything. Nico high fived him and I said. "Why are you being nice to him?" I asked. "He was being mean to me."
"You see, Annie," Percy said. "We don't want to be your friends anymore."
"W-what?"