The Haircut (Spitfire)

They were sitting in his living room when she announced the idea. It wasn't spontaneous. She had been thinking about it for two years now but it was different when she said it out loud.

"I'm going to cut my hair," She looked over at her boyfriend of two months. He was in mid-chew and frozen in shock, more popcorn in hand.

"B-But you can't do that!" Wally stuttered after a rather loud swallow. Usually Wally couldn't stop eating. From his react you would've thought she told him she was pregnant with his baby or something.

Artemis shrugged as she took her long ponytail into her hands, "Why not? I mean, it's just hair."

The speedster shook his head and released the food that was in his hands. In his scientist voice he said, "Your hair is not just hair, Artemis! It's actual gold! Just listen to me, your hair is what makes the world go round. Screw the gravitational pull and all that space shit. Hell, Babe, your hair has a whole Facebook page!"

The archer rolled her eyes, "Isn't that a bit creepy?"

"Yeah, that's why I'm the president of your abs' fan page!" Wally scoffed and rolled his eyes back her. Artemis glared at him before throwing a throw pillow out him. He caught it and tossed it back at her before continuing, "Anyways, you get my point. You can't cut your hair."

"I'm going to cut it, Wally."

"But it's the religion I believe in!" 

Artemis didn't bother to convince Wally, since it was her decision after all. She had already booked an appointment a week in advance. Part of herself thought she was ready to cute the stupid strands off. Her hair meant so much more than hair, however. It was a sign of her father's neglect. He never took her to get a hair cut. But now that she was a hero, it was a symbol of Artemis. It was sign of hope for civilians. That made her a bit hesitant, but she thought of all the benefits of having shorter hair. Artemis wouldn't have to spend an hour washing and conditioning it. She wouldn't have to spend another hour untangling it. Maybe she could do something with it either than throwing it up in a ponytail? She would certainly save a lot more money on shampoo and missing hair ties.

Her decision was made. She was going to cut her hair, but she canceled the appointment. Wally wanted her to cut her hair Mulan style. That sounded cool enough. Plus, Mulan was her favorite Disney princess.

Eventually the day came where she would cut her hair. She sat on the floor of her bedroom in the cave. It was mostly empty. It only had a bed and desk, plus a full length mirror. Her sword was next to her. Wally was on her bed, eating a bag of chips.

"I'm going to miss the hair," Wally said with food in his mouth, "But you'll grow out again, right?"

Artemis shrugged and grabbed her hair. For the longest time she hated her hair. It was a part of her old life. Now she had a new life as a hero, with a dorky ginger boyfriend, her mom, and awesome friends. Long hair was her past and she was ready to say goodbye, "I think I'll let it grow, but I don't think I'll ever grow it out this long again. I don't think I can."

Wally looked at her through the mirror and slowed down his chewing. The more he watched her comb her hair with her fingers, the more he realized he was kinda right. It was much more than hair, just not in the joking manner he had meant.

When Artemis joined the team, she would never open up about anything. The only thing she told them was her secret identity. As the team and her got closer, she would let a few things slip. It was mostly just about the kids at school, though. And when she told them about her family, it explained a lot but not everything. Wally knew she wouldn't open up right away but he wanted to help her tear down her walls. He was going to let her open up to him and maybe now was the time.

Wally stood up from the bed and sat down on the floor with her. They both sat crisscross-applesauce and looked into the mirror. He flashed her a small smile and she returned one. "It's okay to let things go," Wally said.

She nodded and picked up the weapon that had been laying on her other side, "I know and that's why I'm ready to get it over with."

"Y'know, if you were anybody else, I would question why you had access to a sword," The speedster snorted as he scooted a bit back. Artemis rolled her eyes and as she brought the sword up to her hair. She should have probably been looking as she cut her hair, but for some reason she couldn't look. The goddess closed her grey eyes and just went for it.

After a few moments of silence and chopping, the blonde asked, "Did I do it?"

"Yeah," Wally answered in a short of breathless voice. It made her slowly open her eyes, one by one. She didn't know what she was expecting. She kinda thought it would be like in the movies, where she looked like a completely different person. Artemis still looked like herself, but her hair was up to her shoulders. For anybody else, it wouldn't have looked weird. For her, it was almost shocking.

"Holy shit, I did it ... I did it, Wally!" Artemis looked at her boyfriend. He nodded and a smile slowly rose on his freckles face. Before she could blink, he kissed her and his hands were in her new short hair.

"You look so beautiful, Babe!" He complemented her when they finished kissing. His hands were still in her hair and eventually her own hands were in it too.

Artemis chuckled, "I get all those girls now. It does feel kinda liberating to cut your hair, especially like Mulan,"

Wally laughed too, "Plus it's a big fuck you to everything you've been through."

In a few seconds their chuckling stop and she gave Wally a sweet smile, "Thanks, Wall-Man."

"For what?" He raised a brow.

"I don't know. Just for being there for me ... and for when you're about to help me clean this mess up."

"UGH!"

A/N: Had a very day. If you had a bad day too, hope this made you feel better.