Chapter 72

Widget can sense a problem right away as he exits the cave. The guards and the True Blues are watching him with a new-found respect after he had calmed the menacing guardian and entered the sacred cave. The Browns are all waiting to see what will happen next, because they suspect he has more exciting news for them. The problem is his mother Wipit who is laying on the ground with blood oozing from numerous wounds, some minor but a few quite serious after being dragged through the dirt to Ren. Wen is trying to look after her, but he can tell that she does not have long to live unless something is done and done quickly.

He runs to her side and looks down on her as she looks up to him. "I have to tell you something before I go to the Ancients."

Widget leans down close to his mother's face, so he can easily hear what she needs to tell him. Wipit smiles at him wincing some from the pain of her injuries. "I would like to introduce you to my daughter Wen; her father is Tal from the Vert in a Basket. She is your sister, Widget."

He looks up to Wen as she looks at him in shock, having heard the same thing from Wipit. "I never knew I had a sister."

Wen takes her eyes from Widget and looks down on her mother, as if seeing her for the first time. "Father never told me."

Wipit closes her eyes and leans back against Wen, who feels her neck for a pulse. She looks to Widget. "Neither one of us is going to have a mother very soon if something isn't done to help her, and quickly."

He stands up looking around as if for a magic cure to save his mother, when it comes to him. The lab is on the other side of the secret entrance in the cliff face, and Ela healed the people in the village with healing packs. Widget turns to his mother. "Hold on, I will be right back with what you need."

He turns to the guards that are standing close by. "You men. I need half of you to guard my mother with your lives and it will be your life by the guardian if anything happens to her. The rest of you come with me and guard the entrance to the cliff."

Widget opens himself up to the Way and can tell right away where the hidden entrance is to the lab and the healing packs that will save his mother. He heads out at a run with the guards following close behind him. Sol and Ned have joined him and are fighting their way through the trees also.

Widget heads straight to the spot where he knows it is, but brush has covered the entrance completely. He grabs a sword from one of the guards and starts hacking away at the branches and vines.

Sol and Ned help him as the guards haul away the loose ones, till they are standing at a solid stone wall.

Sol runs his hand down the rock wall before turning to Widget. "Can you truly walk through solid rock as Ela from above the clouds could, so very long ago?"

He doesn't answer but closes his eyes and opens the Way, reaching forward with his hand. He can feel a slight pressure as his hand starts to enter the rock-face, but it easily slides through. He can hear the startled men behind him as they take in a quick breath at what to them is something truly impossible.

He opens his eyes to see his arm in the rock wall up to his elbow. He turns to Sol and Ned. "I guess I will see you soon," before he walks the rest of the way through to the lab.

The moment he enters, the lights come on around the edge of the ceiling, and if it was not for the layer of dust on everything, he would say that it is the same as he had remembered it from being inside Ela's head.

He looks down the side of the room for the box where Ela kept the healing packs and sees it right away. He moves towards the box and opens it up. The packs are in perfect condition because they have been in a small stasis chamber or Sleep chamber for all this time.