Chapter 6

Ela is just about to sit down in the chair on their small balcony when she feels the presence again, but stronger this time. She sits heavily into the chair, which causes Set to look to her. "Are you ok?"

"Yes, it is probably just nerves, because of tomorrows launch," suggests Ela, but she is beginning to wonder if there isn't more to it than that.

She shrugs off the feeling as she turns to her joined. "How do you feel about the launch being moved up?"

"It doesn't give us much time, but on the other hand, I am glad you will have some company. I will sleep better at night knowing there is someone to help you, just in case you were to fall down and break a leg or something equally as simple."

She nods her head in agreement. "I agree. There are just too many simple things that can go wrong if you are by yourself."

Nel is in her room playing when the chime of the front door starts to ring. She knows who it is because they had talked about it at supper. "I'll get it," shouts Nel, as she races for the door, and flings it open.

Shaba and Helena are standing there with a big bottle of wine. Helena leans down and hugs her great granddaughter, as Shaba moves into the room, and looks around. "Where are they, Nel, are you hiding them on us?"

"They are out on the balcony being all mushy," retorts Nel, as she shivers a little at the thought.

Helena looks to the balcony before turning back to her. "They aren't kissing or anything like that are they?"

"No, not yet, but it will lead to that and much more, as it always does," responds Nel, disgustedly.

"Maybe we can stop them from going too far for a little while, if we go out and see them," suggests Shaba.

Nel thinks about it for a moment. "Maybe, but only till you leave, then they will start all over again, because Mommy is going away to play in a real sun, and make sure it is safe for everybody."

Shaba leans down to his Great Granddaughter. "It is a very important thing she is doing. Will you be ok when she leaves?"

"Yes, I will have Daddy. Somebody needs to look after him if Mommy isn't around, and then when I am older, I will be able to run in the sun with Mommy and Daddy," beams Nel, happily.

Shaba straightens up and ruffles Nel's hair with his hand as he smiles at his joined, while nodding his head. He proceeds out to the small table on the balcony, as Helena asks Nel where the glasses are.

There is just enough room for four chairs around the table, as Shaba takes the one closest to the railing. He sets the big bottle in the center of the table, so Ela can see the label on the front. "Is that one of the bottles you made when I was a kid?"

"Yes, it is one of only five that are left from that batch. I thought tonight might be a good time to sit and enjoy a glass or two."

She picks up the heavy bottle to take a closer look at it. "Thank you, it will help me sleep tonight, and I think it will take something good and strong to accomplish that feat."

Helena returns with the glasses and sets them on the table, as Nel squeezes in-between her mother and father. "Do you have all your bags packed and ready to go?"

Set jumps into the conversation. "She has had them packed for the last two weeks, I think."

"I like to be prepared for things; besides you never know when schedules are all of the sudden going to get changed," states Ela, as she turns to stare at her grandfather.

Shaba smiles at the jab. "Well, I really didn't have much choice; any longer, and the opposition would have done something more than just threaten our decision."

"Lev said they already tried."

"We can't really prove that because they did not get very far into their plan, before we put a stop to it, and technically they didn't do anything wrong. Lev was watching them right from the start, so he was able to disrupt their intentions."

Set has the bottle opened and Helena is pouring the wine as Shaba turns to Ela. "I do have a question for you though. How come you didn't say anything to Roz about the two of you going?"

"Well, she held back the fact that she was connected to the Pro Land Party, so I held back the fact that I already knew it was going to be the two of us leaving together. Besides, this way, I am thought of as the leader of the expedition."

"I made that very clear to her, and even told her that it was your idea to let her go along with you. A fact that seemed to make her happy, I might add."

Ela takes a sip of the wine. "Well, hopefully, it pleases the Pro Land Party, so they don't try anything stupid."

"I wish I could believe that, but after talking to Roz, I don't think she will be the person to force anything on you. It will be your decision and yours alone," states Shaba, before sampling the wine in his glass.

Helena looks around the table, as Nel runs over to her, climbing up onto her lap. "I think we should talk about something else instead of all this doom and gloom. Nel, why don't you tell us what you did today? Have you been good and doing what you're supposed to?"

Nel quickly turns to her mother. "Did you tell Great Gram about the bird and me wanting to pick it up? You, big people are always telling on us young ones," as she flops back against Helena, and folds her arms over her chest, before putting on her pouty face again.

Shaba and Helena both smile at her outburst, as they look to Ela. "I didn't say anything to them dear, but I think they know now," smirks Ela, as Set chuckles at his daughters look of defeat.

They enjoy each others company as they drink their wine, allowing Nel to sip a bit from their glasses so she feels like she is part of the group and can make funny faces at the taste. Nel soon gets very relaxed sitting in her Great Gram's lap and starts nodding off, so Ela gets up to put her to bed for the last time, before she leaves the next day.

She gets back to the balcony and sits down to finish her wine, before heading off to bed herself. The next day will be a long one, one and a half years long.

Shaba knows that Set and Ela should have some time alone before the launch of the Hermes, so he places his hand on Helena's arm. "We should be heading home so these two can get some sleep."

Helena smiles at Ela. "Yes, they need to be alone for a while," as she gets up and heads for the door, turning around just inside the balcony doors to the main room. "Are you coming, or do I need to drag you away from the rest of that bottle?"

Shaba downs the rest of the wine in his glass and gets up, turning to Ela and Set. "I will see the two of you at the docking bay tomorrow at noon for the launch of the Hermes," before calling out a little louder to Helena, "coming dear."

They leave, as Ela and Set have one more glass each of the wine which finishes off the bottle, before they get ready to go to bed themselves.