Chapter 45

The fire is burning brightly in the large intricately carved fireplace in the private quarters of the Head Reader for the Order. Ren is staring at the flames as he swirls his drink around in the thick crystal goblet. Ulis and his father Rut are sitting on either side of him, also watching the fire burn across the perfectly shaped logs.

Ren speaks up over the crackling of the dry wood. "There is still a growing presence in the Browns that started a couple of days ago. I can feel it through the Sense. They seem to be growing even more confident. Can anybody explain this?"

Ulis leans forward slightly. "I have felt it also. I can't help thinking that it is one person, a very strong person that is affecting them, causing this unrest."

Rut looks to his son. "You are the strongest person in the Capital and throughout the whole realm. Is it possible that just your presence among the Browns is causing them to change, and feel more confident?"

Ren smiles at his father. "I appreciate your faith in me, Father, but I think I would know if it was me causing it. No, I think there is someone else working behind the scenes, slowly educating the Browns and boosting their confidence."

Ulis had been staring at the fire deep in thought. "What if we have the Seven that are in the city now, enlist the aid of their strongest Readers to assist in the search. Then, with the extra people and their Sense, we could cover the area easily, and see if they can pick up any extra strong person affecting the Browns."

"That's a good idea. Father, can you pass this decision on to the Seven first thing in the morning," commands Ren, before turning to Ulis. "Can you have a runner go to Sol's home and have him report to me immediately. I have some questions for him."

"Do you think there is a problem?" asks Ulis.

Ren stares at the fire a moment before responding. "I'm not sure; it is just a feeling."

Ulis turns in his chair to summon the Brown from the back of the room. He hurries over. "Go request a runner to report to me immediately."

The Brown leaves and the runner arrives a moment later. "Go to the home of Sol, one of the Seven and tell him to report to The Teacher as soon as possible." The runner turns around smartly and runs from the room to do his bidding. Ulis watches him go before turning back to relax in his chair and stare at the fire. "Sol is the strongest among us."

"Yes, he is, and so is his metal worker Reader Ned, I can't read either of them. Next to me they are the next strongest in the Sense. I will need to physically watch them, and judge their actions that way, till they leave the Capital for the smaller villages."

Sol is just finishing his drink when the runner arrives at his door. He gets up to answer it, not wanting to disturb Ver during her free time. The runner stands in the doorway, surprised that Sol is answering his own door, but gives him the message before turning abruptly and heading off into the night. Sol turns to Ned. "Remind me not to answer my own door again, because I can't seem to think of Ver or Sip being my servants anymore."

"Will do. It would not be a good idea to give Ren anything to suspect us of right now."

"True, and this summons makes me nervous. I don't know what it is all about, but if I haven't returned by daybreak, don't hesitate to take Widget, Sip and Ver from the Capital as quickly as you can."

"Understood; I will look after him if anything happens."

Sol grabs his cloak from the hook by the door. "Wish me luck."

"Good luck," calls out Ned, as he also gets up and heads for the door and the stable to see Sip about hitching up the wagon, just in case they need to leave in a hurry.

Sol moves through the darkness to the Readers Complex and then to the private quarters of the Head Reader. The guards open the door for him, and he strides confidently into the room. "You summoned me, Teacher? What do you need of me? I am in your service as always."

Ren motions Sol over to the chair that his father Rut had just vacated to arrange for runners to instruct the rest of the Seven out in the city, shortly after dawn. He sits but declines the offer for some of the Sipping Grain. "I've already had some, thank you, and too much will just muddle my brain come morning, and right now I think we need everybody clear minded if we are to catch the person responsible for influencing the Browns."

Ren nods his head. "Well said. So, you also think it is someone, who is very strong in the Sense also."

"Yes, I do," answers Sol truthfully.

"I agree with you, and the reason I have asked you here tonight. The Metal Worker..., what was his name again?" probes Ren, with the Sense, once he has Sol distracted.

"Ned, his name is Ned. I agree with you that he is very strong in the Sense, but I have known him since we were both small boys growing up in Orgin. He also wanted me to express his thanks for allowing him the opportunity of assisting with the Marking of the Browns. We were just talking about there being too many Browns out there running around doing El knows what, when the runner arrived with your summons."

Ren slowly nods his head, as he sits still for a moment, staring at the flames of the fire. "I am glad to hear that; I can't seem to read either of you, so I had to make sure you and Ned were watching for any person strong enough to affect the Browns. We need to stop any resistance before it has a chance to get going."

"We have been doing just that, since we started Marking the Browns. Every True Blue that I know has at least one Brown, so they will all have to come see us sooner or later, and I can probe each one as I get close to them."

Ren relaxes some in the chair. "I see. Well, that makes me feel better. What was the problem yesterday? I felt a strong surge in the Sense, when you sent the Shoe Maker to the Magistrate's Office."

"Yes, he seemed to have a problem with the way Ned was handling his Brown, something about being too rough with him. I had to quickly subdue him with a burst of the Sense to put down his objections right away, before others could get involved."

"Good, we don't what any resistance to our plans right now. How long do you think it will take to finish Marking the Browns in the Capital and hopefully catch this rebel Blue?"

Sol does some math in his head before responding. "We have been going as fast as we can, at great expense to Ned's arm, I might add. He has been at it from sun up to sun down to quickly make the transition to your New Order. It's possible that we will be done tomorrow night, and then we can move out into the surrounding area."

"That would be appreciated. Marking the Browns is the first step in a much bigger plan to bring the words of the Book to the people," adds Ren, reverently.

Sol leans forward in his chair. "I should be getting back to my home. Ned will probably be waiting for me to return to make sure there are no additional instructions for him and the Marking. He needs his sleep right now, and I would not want to keep him from his rest."

Ren remains relaxed in his chair. "Yes, I will be pleased, if he can finish tomorrow night. The Browns need to know their place in the New Order. I fear that it will not be as easy out in the surrounding areas where there are small secluded communities of people."

Sol stands. "I agree, but don't worry, we will find them."

"We are thankful to have you, Sol; I don't know of anybody else that I could trust with such an important task. Go get some rest and let Ned know that I'm in his debt."

"Will do, Teacher," says Sol, as he heads for the door, and back to his home.

Ulis speaks up after he has left the room. "He seems eager to please you."

"Yes, he does, doesn't he? I just hope he is being truthful with his words," ponders Ren, out loud.