Chapter 41

Nel rushes into her father's room, making as much noise as she thinks she can get away with. She runs through the doorway and launches herself up onto the bed, almost knocking her father to the floor. "Get up, it's morning, and today is the day."

Set sits up, trying to get his eyes to focus on the figure bouncing up and down in front of him. "Nel, I have told you before not to wake me up like that."

"But today is the day. Shaba said that halfway between breakfast and the noon meal, the ships will separate so we can land on our new home," blurts out Nel excitedly.

"I know all that, but the sun has barely started to rise," complains Set, as he rubs the sleep from his eyes.

Ela jumps from the bed and starts to pull the sheets back from him. "But we are going to have breakfast at Helena's first, remember, before we go to Shaba's big office to watch it happen."

Set looks sideways at his daughter. "I don't remember her saying that."

"She whispered it to me just as we were leaving last night. You had already entered the hallway," Informs Nel, very matter of factually, with her small fists firmly planted on her hips.

He struggles not to laugh at her. "OK, I believe you, but can you at least give me a moment to get dressed and use the water room first."

"Well, ok, but time is wasting. The ships have not been separated for almost twelve thousand years you know, and I for one don't want to miss it."

Set gets up and stumbles to the water room, returning a moment later to shoo Nel from his room so he can get dressed for this momentous occasion. She leaves to wait for him by the front door to their quarters, as patiently as an eight-year old can.

Set finally finishes getting ready and moves to the main room to see Nel standing there with the door opened, poised to exit their quarters. "Let's go," she announces, almost disgustedly.

They move down the hallway to the elevation tubes, that Nel can now use because her Way has fully developed. At the third level, where Shaba and Helena have their quarters, Nel runs ahead of him and is knocking on the door aggressively.

Set gets to the door as it opens to reveal Helena still in her night clothes, struggling to figure out the reason for all the noise so early in the morning. She looks down. "Nel, what time is it?"

"It's time for the breakfast that you told me last night you would make for us, remember?"

Helena looks from Nel to Set, who just throws up his hands, then back to Nel. "Yes, I did say that, didn't I."

Nel spins her head around to face her father. "Told you so." She rushes past Helena into the main room, calling out, "Shaba, are you awake yet? Today is the day, and we don't want to miss it."

It takes Shaba a few moments to get up, but soon he steps out of the bed chamber. "Nel, why are you here so early in the morning?"

"Helena said she would make us breakfast before we go to the big office at the top of the building, where we can watch everything as it happens," says Nel, as fast as possible without taking a breath.

Shaba looks to his joined, who just shrugs her shoulders and heads to the small food preparation area to get Nel and everybody else something to eat. He turns back to Nel. "Are you sure you want to go all the way to the top of the tower just to watch the ships pull away from each other?"

Her mouth drops at his words. "It has been twelve thousand years since the ships came together; this will be the first time they have been apart. Besides, you promised to take me there to watch."