Chapter 44

Widget and Ned get back to the metal shop behind the Readers Complex first thing in the morning. Widget had a restless night because he had used to much Sense the day before on Shin, although he knows it has expanded his capacity for the Sense. He now feels that he can do more with ease, which he is going to need as he influences the Browns at the Marking.

They start right away attaching the bands, because they need to be done with the Browns in the Capital, so they can move out into the surrounding villages in two days' time. Once there they will be able to relax some, because they should be far enough away from Ren and his constant probing with his Sense.

Shin and Tin are one of the first in line, and when they get close to the anvil and the scribe, the guards move in closer to make sure everything goes as planned. Shin puts his head down and acts the perfect subject of the Order, obeying every command. Tin is soon Banded and Marked, as Widget instructs him on who he is and what is expected of him.

Sol keeps things running smoothly, as he moves from the bands Ned is about to use on a Brown, to the scribe who marks down the numbers on the Band in the ledger beside the name of the True Blue who now legally owns them. Ned's arm is about ready to fall off by the end of the day, and the last few pins that hold the Band together may not be as smooth and flat as the first ones that day, but he manages to get through them till the sun is ready to set.

They head back to Sol's house. The main room is warm from the fire that Ver has going in the fireplace. Ned flops down in one of the big arm chairs, resting his arms on the padded sides, as his body sinks down into the cushions. Widget sits cross legged in front of the fire and lets the warmth sink into his body.

Sol continues to the food preparation area in the back to find Shin and Tin waiting for him. "I was hoping you would show up, and that I had not placed my trust in the wrong person."

Shin stands and smiles. "I have been praying to El most of my life for someone to come along and help the Browns, because they do not deserve the treatment they get."

Sol smiles and nods his head happily. "Good, because I am not sure you are going to like the part of the plan that depends on you two, if we are going to pull off teaching the Browns the Way."

Shin looks to Tin and gets an accepting nod. "We are ready to do what we can. I think we both realize that there are always consequences to achieving great change."

Sol nods his agreement, before turning to the main room and Widget. "I think they are ready to hear the rest of our plan now."

Widget gets up, a little stiffly at first but manages to stand up straight. "Don't worry Sol, the two of them together are stronger than Ren will ever be."

"I know, it is just that I hate leaving my backside open to attack, while we go off and figure out the reason for all this."

Widget enters the back room. "Shin and Tin, we have not been formally introduced, my name is Widget. I will not say that I like what is happening, but it seems that I am The Teacher foretold of in the Book of the Small Eyed People, from above the clouds."

Shin stands and takes Widget's hand. "I have prayed for your arrival. I will do what needs to be done. Both of us will, won't we Tin?"

Tin also stands and moves to Shin's side. "Yes, just tell us what you need from us."

All four of them sit down at the table, as Ned moves to the door frame and leans on it, so he can hear what is being said. Sol begins first. "In two days, we hope to be done Marking the Browns here in the Capital, so we can leave, heading south towards Orgin and the villages in that direction. Ren suspects that there is someone strong enough to over throw his command of the Readers Order. We need to convince him that he is right, by giving him someone to follow that will lead him in the opposite direction away from us. That is where you two come in. If the two of you connect with each other and project a strong Sense out into the Capital, Ren should notice it, and hopefully follow you when you leave the city."