Chapter 68

Wipit watches her son leave the cottage, to face his destiny. She takes a moment to remember his father with a little smile at the time they had together before he too had to leave to follow his path through life. She shakes her head and turns to the fireplace and the big pot she has water warming in. She returns to cutting some root plant, along with some Vert, which she puts in a pot for the stew she is making. She looks up as she hears a noise from outside and is just about to open the door when it explodes inwards with enough force to throw her to the floor.

Two guards rush in and grab her arms and legs, lifting her from the floor and outside to the front porch. From there they throw her to the ground at the feet of the head guard, who kneels and looks her in the eyes. "So, you're the mother of the rebel that is causing all the trouble for the True Blues." He stands and turns to the others. "Ren said we were to bring her to him, but he didn't say anything about how we were to get her there."

The two guards smile and grab her by the ankles and head down the path along the edge of the trees, so they can slip past the town and the massing Browns and villagers. Wipit was tempted to call to Widget through the Sense but was afraid that it might be exactly what Ren wanted her to do. Hoping to get Widget mad enough to react before he was ready in order to save his mother.

They drag her on her back and then on her front for a while as she struggles to keep from being scraped by the rough rocks. It seems to take forever but eventually they reach the line of wagons and carriages that Ren has spread out to either side of the road a short distance from Orgin.

Ren walks up to them when they arrive and smiles down at the condition of Wipit as she bleeds from numerous cuts and scrapes, some that have left the bone exposed. He kicks her severely in the side to make sure she is still alive, and she moans at the impact. "Good, you did not kill her, it would not have made too much difference, but this way she can plead and beg the rebel Widget to help her."

Ren starts to walk away but stops and turns back to the guards. "Put her in the wagon bed, I will send Wen the Inn keeper's daughter to care for her."

The guards pick her up and bodily throw her into the back of the wagon, where she lands heavily on the rough planks of the wagon bed. The other guard returns with Wen, pulling her roughly by the arm. He pushes her towards the back of the wagon. "Something for you to look after as we stop this little uprising for good." He starts to walk away, as he calls back over his shoulder. "If she dies before she is needed, I will come back and take my time killing you."

Wen climbs up into the back of the wagon and looks down on the condition of the person laying there and immediately looks away. Wipit sees her look away in horror at her condition. "I have dreamed of seeing you again, but it was never like this."

Wen turns back to the beaten and bruised body. "You know me?" she asks, a little puzzled.

Wipit tries to smile but her body hurts so much she can only look at her. "I knew your father, years ago, before you were born."

Wen gets some cloths from the front of the wagon, which are used to cover the back when it rains. They are rough, but she calls to a guard for some water. He comes back moments later with a bucket full, which she uses to clean some of the loose dirt from the wounds. Unfortunately, some has been ground deep into the scrapes and she has no choice but to leave it for now. It takes some time but eventually she has Wipit looking like someone who might make it.

Ren comes back to check on her progress. "Good, you have made her look like she will die at any moment but can still squirm some to give her son some hope, before I make him beg for her life in exchange for his own."

Wipit looks up to Wen after Ren has left. "Promise me you will help me stand long enough to see Widget teach that smug boy a real lesson in humility.".

She smiles down at her. "That I will promise."

Widget gets up from the chair in front of the fire. "It is time to go face Ren. Tell everybody that I do not want an all-out battle between the Browns and the Blues, they are just to show their support for the cause, not die for it. I will challenge Ren myself, and the outcome will decide the winner, not how many are still alive on each side."

Sol nods his head, as Ned turns to him. "I am not so sure I can promise that; the Browns are more than willing to fight and die if that is what it takes to stop Ren and the Seven from keeping them in bondage forever."

Widget turns to him and says with unquestionable assurance. "Ren can't win, he does not have what it takes to pass the test. I am the only one that can enter the cave."

Ned turns to Sol. "The cave? What is he talking about now?"

Sol thinks about it and turns to Widget with a frightened look on his face. "No, you can't be talking about going there. Nobody has been in there since the time of the writing of the Book, it is suicide to even attempt it, you will be torn to pieces."

Widget smiles at the two of them. "Not me, but Ren will if he tries, and he will need to in order to prove his claim of being The Teacher."