Chapter 60

Widget picks up the last band for the Brown waiting at the anvil. Sol gives the number to Tal who marks it in the ledger. The last swing of the heavy hammer hitting the pin with a sharp resounding clang rings out in the yard sealing the two sides of the Band together. Ned stands up holding his back as the hammer drops to the ground beside the anvil. "That's it, I can't do another one today. If another Brown comes around the corner of the Inn, you can swing the hammer, Sol."

Sol smiles at his old friend. "Don't worry, I have been assured that there are no more. Tal here knows everybody within a half-day walk."

"Good, I'm going to sit in the main room for a while and rest this arm," announces Ned, as he walks stiffly away from the yard.

Tal gets up from the table, turning to Sol. "Why don't you all go get some rest. I know that you want to leave before first light tomorrow morning. I will have the stable Browns load your wagon with the anvil, table and the other supplies you need. Wen should have your supper ready by now in the main room, and the back room for the others."

Sol thanks him and picks up the ledger with the names and numbers that correspond to the Browns and their True-Blue owners. He enters the main room of the Inn to see Ned stretched out in the chair with his head leaning back against the high back. He smiles at him and carries on to their room upstairs, where he puts the ledger in his back pack.

He is heading back to the door of the room when he hears a knock. He stops, just a little surprised. "Come in," he calls out.

Widget opens the door and enters the room nervously. "I think we should talk before we head to Orgin in the morning."

Sol steps back and sits on the end of the bed, as Widget goes to stand beside the dark fireplace. "What is it?"

Widget stares at the dark opening of the fireplace for a moment. "When we arrive in Orgin, I will need to leave you, so I can go see my mother at the edge of the trees, just past the center of the village."

"I can appreciate your desire to see her."

"Yes, but it is more than that. From there I need to go to the spring and attempt to connect with Ela again. I need to know what I am to do next. I figured out the need to awaken the Browns, but now I need to know what I am supposed to do with them," confesses Widget, more than a little unsure of himself.

Sol gets up and leans on the mantel of the fireplace beside him. "The Book says. "Trust in the El and all your questions will be answered", I can think of no better message for you right now than that. You are The Teacher, there is no question of that now. The very last passage in the Book, states, "The people joined, one onto the other, and lived on till the end of time". If you need to spend some time figuring out the next move, then we will make sure you get that time."

Widget looks up and smiles. "Thank you, but you should also know that when I am away with Ela, I can't be reached and must remain still. My mind is with her, but my body remains, vulnerable to attack."

Sol considers his words. "The important thing is that you get to do what you need to do. We will protect you, along with all the Browns in Orgin, and a lot of the Blues also, I suspect."

Widget nods his head and moves to the doorway, turning before exiting. "Thank you, for everything."

Sol smiles as he watches Widget walk down the upper hallway to the stairs and off to the back room. "What a leader he is going to make. The Browns will flourish under his rule."

He soon follows and goes down to the main room and the meal that Wen has ready for them in front of the warm fireplace. Ned struggles to get up, before moving to the table where he flops back down on a chair across from Sol, with his back to the fire.