Chapter 28

"P'Tum, I can carry one of the bags in at least, it's not that big of a deal." Tar told his older brother, but he couldn't keep the amusement out of his voice as Tum waved the statement off, trying to lug in two large suitcases and Tar's carry-on into the house. This was just like his brother, who had always done more for him than was necessary, had always cared for him more than was necessary. But that was one of the reasons that Tar loved him so much.

"Nope--no, you just got off of a twelve hour flight and you need rest, you're probably exhausted. I got this, Tar." Tum assured and Tar shook his head in bemusement before going to collapse onto the couch, placing his hands on his knees as he watched the other tug the suitcase just inside of the entryway.

Tar's eyes trailed over to the staircase and then back towards his brother who was leaning on one of the suitcases, breathing heavily. "We can bring them upstairs later. It's not important right now, P'Tum. Thank you."

The elder let out a breath and then smiled widely. He closed the door and slipped off his shoes and then went to join Tar on the couch, sitting close enough that their knees touched. Tar continued to smile.

"I've missed you." Tum said for at least the fifth time since Tar had gotten off of the plane. Tar let out a little breathy laugh and then Tum leaned in, wrapping his arm around Tar and pulled him to his chest.

Tar felt somewhat like a kid all curled up against his brother like this, it was actually a little awkward, but he decided to just go with it. It had been a long time since he and P'Tum had seen each other, but Tar would have to remind him that he was a grown man at twenty-two years old now. No longer was he the young teenager unsure of the world that Tum had seen him as.

"I missed you too, P'Tum." Tar said lightly, turning his head upwards to look at him. Tum was staring at him in such a way that it made Tar squirm a little under his gaze. Tum's hand fell from his shoulder to his elbow and Tar let out a breathy laugh, trying to hide his awkwardness.

He then jumped up, pointing a finger and looking excited. "Wait here, I have something for you." Tum blinked at him and Tar rushed off to one of his suitcases, lowering it onto the floor and unzipping it. He then pulled out a portfolio, something he hadn't felt comfortable shipping in case it got lost in the mail, and rifled through it before he tugged out a beautifully painted portrait.

"I painted this for you a few months ago. I thought about mailing it, but I thought I'd better just wait and give it to you in person." Tar held it out, that same bright smile on his face and Tum took it, turning it around to see a portrait as real as a photograph of him on stage, playing the guitar.

Tar watched his face carefully, feeling relieved when Tum automatically beamed, his eyes lighting up like stars as he looked between the portrait and Tar. Tum then set it aside and stood, pulling Tar into another hug. Tar wrapped his arms around his brother, gently patting his back. "So you like it?"

"Like it?" Tum questioned incredulously, hugging Tar even more tightly. "It's the most beautiful thing I've ever seen--I love it, Tar." Tum's hand rested on the back of his head, lightly petting his hair. "Almost as much as I love having you back."

Tar could feel the murmur of this against his skin and gave another laugh, trying to make light of the situation even though he knew, but he didn't say anything.

He pulled back, eyes bright like starlight themselves. "Let me make you something to eat. I'm sure I can put together something."

"But you just got back. We can order something--"

"P'Tum," Tar gave a small pout as he stepped away, narrowing his eyes playfully. "I just graduated from culinary school, remember? Trust me, after eating that plane food and fast food for the last day, I really need to cook something."