(18) A WORLD OF REGRET

SOMETHING WAS WRONG.

Eris knew that the moment she awoke, snapping back to reality with a start. Her left hand flew to her right wrist first, feeling for the bracelet.

It was still there.

She nearly breathed a sigh of relief before she realized she was being watched. At her side, Ophelia studied her face with glinting green eyes. Eris's relief turned to anger.

"You drugged me?"

"It was a long ride," the woman smirked. "Had to make sure you stayed docile. Of course, I know another way to ensure that..."

"Don't," Eris growled. "I'm here. I'm not fighting."

"Indeed you are."

She ground her teeth together and gazed out the window. They were on some sort of strip of concrete, empty to the side she looked out on. Something about it was familiar.

"Out, Pandora," Ophelia said. Clenching her jaw even tighter, Eris complied.

Feet on grey concrete, she could finally see over the car. Towards where a small group stood; Khandil and the handful of his men that had been in the warehouse. Beyond them stood a gleaming black quinjet.

Eris's blood went cold.

She did recognize this airplane hanger. It was the one T'Challa had purchased, so far out of the city. And that was their quinjet.

For a moment, she forgot how to breathe. Out of everything they'd brainstormed, this hadn't even been fathomed. This had never been seen as their plan.

"You look surprised," Ophelia chuckled. "Do you really think we didn't expect Captain America and his Secret Avengers to give chase after us? We've been keeping an eye out for your arrival since that mission."

"All of this," Eris said. "You wanted me?"

"We're friends, Pandora, remember? Of course, I planned to rescue you from their superhero clutches."

"I didn't need saving."

The woman only smiled. "Soon enough, you'll thank me."

Something deep and dark flared inside of her. Once more, Eris was tempted to use the shadows in her blood. End the woman's life, just like she'd wanted to end Sinthea's. She might be free then. No one else to control her.

But she wasn't the woman from before. She wasn't going to follow those thoughts again.

Clenching her fists, Eris forced herself to take a breath. Forced herself to keep the darkness and whispering shadows deep down. This might not have been the plan, but Ophelia was leading her straight to Khandil's unit.

Right into the belly of the beast.

And her team would give pursuit the moment she sent them the location.