(16) DON'T CRY MERCY

ERIS DIDN'T KNOW HOW TO APPROACH STEVE.

She didn't know how to tell him she might have betrayed their plan for a more dangerous,  one. I've got an idea, the words rang through her mind. But what if it didn't work out? What if she failed?

Twelve percent of an idea, she repeated.

Having stood side-by-side with Ophelia, her plan laid barren by the woman, Eris found it impossible to walk away. She hadn't been able to let the woman escape again; and she wasn't getting anywhere pretending the Avengers were nothing to her. 

She still wasn't sure what side Ophelia believed her to be on.

But this might be their best chance.

No, not theirs. Hers. She'd abandoned the plan for her own selfish reasons.

Don't betray me, Ophelia had said. Because I'll know. And I'll make you kill the Captain you've come so dearly to love.

Eris swallowed hard, standing in front of the apartment complex, the nighttime all around her.

Part of her wanted to flee. Maybe if she ran away like she'd originally planned, things would be okay.

Ophelia wouldn't have her past as leverage. Khandil wouldn't want her for who she is. Steve wouldn't have a weak link and she could never hurt any of them again.

Eris closed her eyes and listened to the sounds of the city. She imagined this was how Bucky must have felt when he fled to Bucharest. She could probably find his old apartment if she wanted. 

Try to live the life he had.

Or she could go back to Wakanda. If there was something to help erase his past, there had to be something to help erase hers.

But despite all these thoughts, Eris didn't move. She opened her eyes and gazed toward the top of the apartment complex where one room was lit golden. She wondered if whoever was on lookout had seen her already.

"Schmidt."

Her silent question was answered by the calm voice behind her. Eris turned into glowing green eyes and short red hair. She couldn't read the woman's face in the darkness. "Nat."

"Steve's been worried sick. Care to explain?"

"Things... happened."

Natasha didn't look impressed, crossing her arms. Eris shifted uncomfortably. "You mean your comms cutting off? Yeah, we figured that out. I'd like to know how."

Eris gazed at the glowing window again. Even if she wanted to leave, she knew she couldn't. She couldn't abandon the team. She couldn't abandon Steve. Natasha's shifting drew her attention back.

"Ophelia knew I was lying. She's not an idiot, sadly."

"So what happened?"

"I was compromised. So I changed the game."