(14) HELL AIN'T A BAD PLACE TO BE

"ERIS, ARE YOU IN POSITION?"

She stuffed her hands in her pockets and surveyed the street. It was just as crowded as it had been the previous day. And just as hot. Steve's voice sounded like static through her comms and she tapped them experimentally. "Yeah, I'm here."

"See anything yet?"

"Other than the crowds? More crowds."

She heard Sam's faint laugh. Sighing, Eris turned to one of the stands. The man was selling an array of different colored fruits, from apples, to grapes, to oranges. And plums.

Her mind flew back months ago. Standing on the sidewalk in Bucharest as she surveyed a target in a hoodie and coat across the street.

Winter.

Eris blinked and came snapping back to reality. She stepped forward and the seller looked up.

"What can I getcha, miss?"

"Three plums," Eris said. She forced a smile and pulled a couple bills out of her pocket, pushing them across the counter. "Keep the change."

His face lit up and he stuck a few of the fruits into a bag. Eris glanced over her shoulder again but nothing on the street had changed. She looked forward again as he passed the bag over, winking. "I stuck an extra in there, miss. Enjoy."

"Thank you."

She stuck the bag under her arm and turned away. Bucky might have been onto a few things with the fruit. And at this point... she'd take any memories she could.

For the most part, anyway.

Someone stepped beside her. Eris didn't even turn around but froze as the smell of strong perfume filled her nose. And a small, female chuckle sounded next to her ear.

"Plums, Pandora? Really?"

"Ophelia."

"Are we on the first-name basis already? I'm flattered."

She swallowed hard and glanced sideways. The woman had her hands tucked into her pockets, eyes fixed ahead as they were no more than chatting strangers. But a small smile tugged at her lips.

"Where are your Avenging friends, Eris?"

"Gone, for all I know."

Sharp green eyes snapped sideways. "What did you do?"

"I left," Eris said evenly. She was surprised her voice wasn't shaking. Maybe she was more angry and determined than she realized. "I'm done putting them in danger."

"Oh?"

"Where's Khandil? I assume you're not alone."

Ophelia laughed and it sounded like a snake's hiss. "My responsibility is to keep him safe from your friends. And I can't help but wonder how much truth is really in your words."