(6) A SHOT IN THE DARK

THEIR LOCATION WAS COMPROMISED.

But Khandil was going to move. And that was all that mattered; getting to him. Wakanda, Ross, and whatever else awaited could wait.

He was buying Inhumans.

Eris's blood boiled and she clenched and unclenched her fists.

The others argued in the kitchen but she'd long since blocked them out. Figuring out how they were going to track Khandil down was their problem. Eris focused on smothering the shadows in her veins, trying not to let her emotions overwhelm her control.

She wasn't sure if she should be more concerned about Ross.

All she could think about were the memories spinning through her head.

Eris didn't know what kept them coming, what made them appear so suddenly. Maybe it was finally being out of Wakanda, throwing herself back into action. Maybe it was Steve... every talk she had with the man seemed to bring more out.

Eris closed her eyes.

The memories weren't what she expected.

Eris remembered why she'd crossed the Avengers in the first place. She remembered her greed for the stone in Vision's forehead, her want for the power that would come with it. She remembered gaining their trust, their friendship, and then betraying it.

She remembered Rumlow.

She remembered her sister. Sinthea.

Up until a certain point.

The more that came, the more that was lost. Eris blocked it out after a certain amount, feeling like the power underneath her skin was going to come loose in one giant burst. She was almost afraid to try and recall more.

Afraid.

She didn't like it.

It was familiar; she'd been afraid before. She'd died afraid.

She'd died.

"Eris?"

Snapping out of her thoughts, she whirled around. The others had finally broken apart and Steve watched her with raised eyes, glancing at her clenched fists. Slowly, Eris unclenched them.

"What's the plan?"

"We've tracked Khandil's location to a point," Natasha said. "This time, we make sure he doesn't get away."

"And the Inhumans?"

"We don't want any casualties," Sam crossed his arms, leaning against the counter. "So what do we do about them?"

"Khandil's basically buying soldiers," Steve said. "We don't know if they're a threat or not."

"They're being sold," Eris argued. "I doubt it's willingly."