Chapter 13 - The Induction

The Academy kept a neutral stance over its students, not favoring the nobles over the commoners. This made the classes an excellent platform for Liliana to interact with students from different backgrounds. She had grown particularly close to a fifteen year old girl who also happened to be her roommate.

Liliana met Amy on her first day in the dorms. Simply by observing the latter's demeanor, she could immediately tell that Amy was of noble descent. However, the girl with short black hair and dark brown eyes was a picture of humility despite her background.

It was only after the two conversed that Liliana made an electrifying discovery. After a formal introduction, Liliana found that her interlocutor was none other than Amy Walker – the daughter of one of the four Dukes.

Amy's last name left Liliana stumped. Her thoughts seemed to stall as her face froze partly in shock and partially in panic. Walker? Like Max Walker?!

It hadn't been long since Liliana had been taken aback by Max's mysterious origins. However, she had never expected this. At the time of their first meeting, Liliana had felt a strange sense of familiarity on observing the girl. It was only now that she realized why Amy's facial structures seemed to share some qualities with Max's.

Liliana's worries, however, were seemingly unfounded. It didn't take very long for her to find out that Amy was the Duke's only child. The discovery immediately gave Liliana some breathing space, allowing her to discard the 'elder brother' theory.

A week into the Academy, Liliana found herself staring out her room's window, occasionally sighing and feeling irritable. There had been next to no contact from Max since the first day, and now her pride prevented her from reaching out. "He's my familiar. After all I've done for him, the least he could do is come and say hello every once in a while." She muttered and sulked, her thoughts eventually interrupted by a soft giggle.

Amy casually sat on her bed, swinging her legs. "Thinking about your boyfriend?"

"Wha?!" Flustered, Liliana only responded after a few seconds, "I'm not! I don't have anyone like that."

Amy snickered. "Well if it's not your boyfriend then a crush? You're thinking about a guy aren't you?"

Liliana lightly coughed and tried to steer the conversation in another direction. "Didn't the professor mention something about an induction today? I wasn't really paying attention. Do you know what all that was about?"

Despite growing up in different environments, Amy really had found Liliana to her liking. Unlike most commoners and minor nobles, Liliana had never tried to flatter or curry favor. The lack of certain boundaries and apprehensions allowed the two to quickly and unknowingly form a sisterly bond.

Amy smiled, deciding against making things awkward for the girl. "It's an annual event." She answered. The Induction consisted of a series of Exhibition matches between the freshers and their seniors. Generally held a month after their joining, the Induction was the perfect opportunity for the freshmen to showcase their skills while learning from the upperclassmen.

"A month, huh?"

"Don't worry. It's like a practical test, but without the credits."

As the daughter of one of the four Dukes, Amy had had access to specialized tutors. Despite only being fifteen, she was already an Intermediate Mage. Her talents could be considered as one of the best in her generation, comparable to even the core members of the royal family. Having gone through practical training before, she wasn't afraid of a mere exhibition match.

On the other hand, Liliana was mostly self-taught. Without a wand or staff to rely on, her control had become impeccable. However, with no prior experience, she lacked the confidence to cast spells unperturbed in the heat of battle.