Chapter 11 - College of Mages and Knights

Asterisk Academy was the oldest and best school of magic on the planet. From his conversation with Isabel, Max knew of Liliana's dream college and understood the significance of the admission offer. With its rich legacy, the academy would be an excellent platform for their growth and most likely hold the answers required to solve the mystery behind his summoning.

"Hey! Who said you could decide?"

"What?" Max whispered back, "You don't want to?"

"That's not what I meant."

Like a child who had managed to get the last chocolate at a store, Julius giddily laughed before he threw a smug glance at Diana and Lydia. "Good! Little Miss, come here and collect your acceptance letter."

Lydia sat back down with a wry smile. Liliana was a decent candidate and the best she'd seen today. By jumping the rope, Lydia had been confident of pulling Liliana towards the Ancient Rune Academy. She hadn't imagined that her co-examiners would display such a huge change of heart. Sighing, she curiously observed Diana, trying to comprehend the latter's unusual reaction.

Diana opened and closed her mouth several times, words failing to take form. Ultimately, she gave up and dejectedly took a seat while ignoring both Julius and Lydia. She had lost all of the haughtiness from earlier. Sneaking a glance at the mage-familiar pair, she silently raged. "Why would Lord Alcatraz recommend them? This isn't fair! What is it about them that caught his eye?"

Diana appeared in a daze until she felt Lydia gently hold her hand. The latter asked in a hushed whisper, "What's wrong? You look a bit pale."

"No - Nothing. I'm fine" Nobody would believe that the Empire's Saint had telepathically ordered her to offer Max and Liliana admission.

"We win some, we lose some."Julius mumbled loud enough for Diana to hear him and let out a light chuckle.

Diana bitterly smiled, apparently in no mood to argue.

Since Liliana and Max were now formal students of Asterisk Academy, nobody dared to make a fuss. Those next in line began their tests as Liliana was asked to proceed to a room behind the examiners for further instructions. Although whispers still pervaded through the crowds, it wasn't as exaggerated as before.

As the duo approached the corridor, they were met with the expected nuisances. The various spectators had sent their recruiters with the hope of roping them in.

"Miss Lockwood, I represent Baron Griggs..."

"Miss Lockwood, I am here on behalf of Earl Ravenswood..."

"Miss Lockwood, Viscount Pierce would like to invite you..."

The recruiters used flowery words as they tried to entice the pair with promises of mansions, maids and the lives of a king. Their objective was simple - to get the pair that had been accepted by all three academies.

Looking at the group, Max couldn't help but crack an amused smile. Have to hand it to you... you guys are pretty thick-skinned.

On the other hand, Liliana politely declined their 'generous' offers, all the while holding back a scowl and the urge to just shoo them away.

To govern the Empire more easily, the Saint had split its territory into five parts. The Empire's largest region, located at the heart of its domain, was controlled solely by the Royal family. The surrounding areas were governed by the four Dukes and the noble families under them.

Like the position of the King, the title of the four Dukes, sixteen Marquises and the sixty four Counts had always been passed down among their respective families. However, it was rare to find a similar arrangement among the minor nobles. The various Barons, Earls and Viscounts, on the other hand, were as plentiful as the stars in the sky. Their titles had been earned through meritorious deeds and generally couldn't be inherited by their children.