Chapter 16

"Kitty, Please talk to me," Catherine said over breakfast. 

"Catherine, she's just lost her mother, please..."Anna added.

"And I've just lost my girlfriend who I was going to propose to tomorrow!" She hesitated" I'm sorry, I'm sorry" she left the room and Cathy followed her. "I'm sorry I just need to clear my head," 

"It's alright,"

"It's not alright though is it? Jane asked me to be a good mother to Edward and Kitty, and how can I do that if I can't hold myself together?"

"We are all going to need time, some of us more than others, so why don't we divide up all the job's Jane used to do and make a chart - for Jane..." 

"We'll get to work on it tomorrow, I promised Edward we'd make some 'Seymour Specials' later."

------An hour later ------

"Katherine, where are you?" Catherine wanted to apologise for the way she behaved earlier. She opened Kitty's bedroom door, "Are you in here?" 

"No" The voice came from the far end of the corridor. Catherine opened Jane's bedroom door to find Katherine curled in a ball, against the wall. 

"Can I sit with you?" Katherine just nodded "I'm sorry for getting angry earlier" Katherine nodded again as if to say 'I forgive you'. Katherine then spoke for the first time that morning since Jane passed. 

"That's where we would sit and talk once I had a nightmare," She said going over to some grey bean bags in the corner. "And in this box," she said pulling a decorated shoebox from on top of the wardrobe, " is all the worries Mum made me write down," She took out a square from the box " And on the back, she would write what she would do," She read one out, "I'm scared that a burglar will break-in and attack me' and she said, 'If a burglar broke in I would protect you,' It's weird to think about 5 hours ago, someone was in so much pain and agony but she wanted us all to sleep so didn't wake anyone up intentionally. Catherine, why do all the best ones have to go? "