Prologue

Halfway through my summer break, my fine life was interrupted. My parents had wanted to send me out into the world and make me go on a very special vacation. It was some kind of hotel, deserted in the woods and away from the rest of society. A lot of celebrities went there to find peace, along with other people like me that were shoved into it by their rich parents.

I was never one for getting out of the house, but I guess I should just stop complaining and make due with the time I have here. I will only be for what, two weeks? Yes, two weeks is all I am going to suffer through and then I will be at home again for another full week until I have to go back to that prison they call school.

It was close to nighttime, and it was trickling outside, the raindrops crawling down the window. The sky was a dusty, dark blue and was going to get darker in due time. The place I was riding was silent, the only sound was the movement of the vehicle along the dirt road.

I was practically hiding in my seat, not wanting to make eye contact with the other passengers on the bus. They looked to be around my age, but everyone my age hated me. It didn’t matter how popular or lonely they were, they found some kind of happiness in taunting me. I refused to give them any reaction, but I think that made them even more thrilled.

One of the passengers was sitting right in front of me, and she looked to be extremely fashionable. She had blond hair that was in pigtails and giant loop earrings dangling from her ears that were just barely hanging onto them. She wore a bright green tank top and high waisted jeans and a hot pink cap. Multiple bracelets were on each arm, and her tennis shoes had socks that were covering the lower part of her jeans, for better or for worse. The jeans fit tightly around her wide hips and looked like they were squeezing her waist. It was kind of ugly, but in a pretty way? She seemed to be staring at a gaming device, but I couldn’t tell exactly what it was.

Another man sitting across from her was staring her down. He was a tan boy with a decent amount of muscle. He wore sporty shorts, and had a simple white short sleeved shirt with some kind of sport’s team logo on it. His dirty blond hair was matted and messy, his eyes narrowing a bit down at her game. I couldn’t tell if he was mad or just being creepy.

They must have known each other, since the girl looked up at him and scowled, her game playing a little tune that told her she had lost. She looked back down at the device and gasped, shoving it into her backpack straight after and slumping down in her seat, making eye contact with the other teen again. “Well, Ricky? You gonna say something or sit there?”

“Well, you looked pretty focused,” he made a lopsided grin and sat back, propping his feet up on the leather of the seat and crossed his arms.

“I’m not now. What do you want?” She asked, huffing and blowing a piece of her curly bangs out of her eye and puckered her lips.

“Why are you so mad, Vick?” He leaned forward, the annoying, buttery smile still very much visible.

“I lost my game because of you, jerk!” she said and sat up, giving him another long glare.

“Okay okay.. Always one with the temper…” Ricky said.

“Whatever,” she lifted her head above the seat, that natural whiny look still on her face as she looked around the bus, “Where is everyone else, anyway?”

There was only a couple of people occupying the bus. Though it was an expensive place to spend your time, there would have at least been a couple more people. The bus driver had not said a single word since we had got on, which was also a little strange. I thought he would have said something about the hotel or the regular procedures one would take on a bus, but there was nothing. He was pretty old, so maybe he forgot?

“Don’t know,” Ricky replied, sitting up as well and looking around. Only one more person was on the bus currently, and they were close to the front. I looked behind me and spotted another person a couple of seats back, though they were trying very hard to not be noticed.

I didn’t take any further look and just decided to leave the stranger alone, turning back around and continuing to wonder on what Vicky had asked. Where were all the other passengers? We couldn’t be the only ones coming. How come we were all around the same age as well? It was like we were hounded together.

It only took two minutes for the questions to start killing me. I stood up and walked past Ricky and Vicky, who were once again arguing and didn’t give me a second glance as I walked by. The bus was shaky, and I stumbled on the way up, plopping down in the seat next to the driver. He was part of the staff even if he didn’t work directly in the hotel, so he must know something.

“Excuse me,” I said, grabbing the side of the cushioning.

The driver didn’t say anything, and instead gave me a quick glance in the mirror. We caught eyes for a moment before he focused on the road once more.

“Aren’t there other guests?” I asked him, my voice barely coming out. It had been a bit since I talked.

The driver nodded.

“Where are they?” I asked.

The man didn’t respond this time. He apparently had no intent on talking.

Well, that conversation was quick. Shrouded in disappointment, I headed back to my seat, bumping into Ricky on my way back. He looked back at me, probably seeing my face for the first time and moving backwards.

“And there you go being clumsy again!” Vicky fussed at him.

Ricky didn’t even respond this time, and just laid back in his seat.

I made sure to scoot really close to the window so I didn’t get in the middle of their bantering again. The rain poured down harder as I watched the tiny drops of water fight to get to the bottom of the window frame first. I couldn’t tell how many more minutes passed by, but it was a long time. The two friends (enemies?) finally stopped getting on each other’s nerves and left the second half of the ride in silence.

The ride suddenly got bumpier. I held onto my seat as the bus rocked back and forth and finally stopped. The door was opened, and I people gathered their stuff and stood up. I didn’t bring anything with me, all of my belongings being in the back. I got up, being the last one on and quietly made my way to the front for the second time, my footsteps being louder than I wished.

“Have a good night,” I said to the bus driver.

But again, I got no response.