you were about to reach for your phone before shaking your head, letting out a sigh, and leaning your head back on the couch as you dropped your hand. even if you excused yourself, you wouldn't be able to visit armin—he already knew you wouldn't visit so there's a huge chance he won't come up to the surface if you weren't there.

     plus, another missed plan with your friends would result in them being mad and sulky about it. it's been too long, after all.

— ❂ —

     as soon as you left your exhausting work, you drove towards reiner's apartment to pick him up (as his car was still not fixed) and to change to some comfortable clothes as your current ones smelt of food and sweat thanks to your work.

     you knocked on reiner's door and shivered at the sudden cold breeze enveloping you. you inclined your head to look at the calm sea before tearing your eyes away, suddenly remembering about your other blond friend living deep into the premises of the ocean.

     what could he possibly be doing at this hour? you asked yourself, curious. he's probably sleeping, who knows.

     you were suddenly startled when the door in front of you slammed open, revealing reiner who looked like he just showered (with clothes on, of course). you flashed him a smile and stepped inside his apartment, placing your bag down on the beige couch.

     "how was work?" reiner asked, grabbing the towel that was on his shoulder to dry off his hair. "any embarrassing moments?"

     a vivid memory of one particular moment a month ago flashed through your mind, making your whole body become numb and cold as you cringe and internally scream for it. you quickly shook your head and grabbed your bundle of clothes from your bag, excusing yourself from reiner in a matter of seconds.

     reiner didn't know about it and he didn't need to.

     you easily navigated through his hallways, entering his bathroom in a haste. with how often you visited reiner's home before, you pretty much knew where most of his rooms were at the back of your hand.

     you could say you live there as well.

     after changing, you left the bathroom and made your way to the living room where reiner was attempting to clasp his golden star necklace around his neck. he looked up from his accessory and spotted you, offering an embarrassing smile before asking you to help him.

     you snorted before walking behind him, slapping his shoulder as a tell so he could squat down as you can't even reach the tall blond. he chuckled and followed as you took hold of the lock before clasping it around his neck successfully without any hitch.

     he turned around and patted your head, "the others are already at pieck's, they're just waiting for us." he hummed, grabbing his wallet from the shelves attached to the walls. "you ready to go?"

     "yup!"

     you both exited his home and entered your car, turning the engine on. you glanced at the ocean from afar, a distant look in your e/c eyes. it was dark, the street lights still not open, but you could make out the rushing waves from afar. with one last look, longing, you left.

     reiner started playing random songs in the car to cover up the deafening silence between the two of you. he sang loudly and even (funnily) matched the tone of the singer, dancing in his seat as he gets energetic by every minute. it was a wonder how the blond still had the energy to move about despite the time, which was almost midnight. begrudgingly, as you drove to your location, you allowed him to scream his heart out while singing the lyrics for 'lost stars' and other ballad songs.