26

Rouge's P.O.V:

I'm doing this for Sonic. I'm doing this for Sonic. Sonic is the reason I'm doing this and he will be the only one I ever do this for. The last thing I needed is to be working with this jackass. After everything he put me through and everything he's about to put Sally through, I never wanted to talk to him or even mention his name again, but he's the only resource we have of finding that grapenut Carmen The Cat.

"Mephiles, are you still there? Can you hear me?"

"…Yeah. I'm here. Just kinda surprised you called me. It's kinda unexpected you know?"

"Trust me. I know, but you're the only one I know can help me out with this."

"Help out with what?"

"Sonic's been kidnapped and me and Shadow have an idea of who it might be, but we're not really sure because we haven't seen her in a couple of years and I figured since you guys were close that you'd know where she is." Mephiles Mom was married to Carmen's Dad for about three years when Mephiles and Carmen were in elementary school. Because of them being sorta kinda related and everything, they grew kinda close and kept in touch even when their parents got divorced.

I didn't find out about that until after Shadow dumped Carmen. I didn't think they'd last as long as they did, five months, to actually give her a thorough background check. I'm sure Carmen kept in contact with Mephiles through all those years. This is the only lead we have.

"What? And you think Carmen did it? That's crazy! Why would Carmen want to kidnap Sonic?"

"Mephiles, you didn't know they used to date?"

"What? When? Why wouldn't she tell me?"

"In sophomore year of high school and think about it, Dark. Why would she tell you that she's dating your rival?"

"Oh…yeah. That kinda makes sense." I rolled my eyes and looked at my watch. The guard should be waking up in at least ten minutes. I need to start getting out of here.

"Look, I'm running out of time to talk to you over the phone, so I'm just gonna come over to your place. I'll be there in maybe fifteen minutes, okay?" I hung up before he could say anything back. I went back in Shadow's room and saw him staring up at the ceiling. He looked back to me when he heard me walk in. I walked over to his bed and grabbed my purse. "I need to leave. The guard is gonna be waking up soon and probably walk around the floor. I'll visit you later, okay? If I find out anything important, I'll text you. Night, Shads." I kissed his cheek.

"Night, Rouge. And thanks for everything. You know I love you, right?"

"I love you, too, Shadow. See you later." I walked out of the room and down the hall. The guard was still passed out on his desk. I looked up at the security cameras and saw the lights still blinking red, meaning they weren't recording. I smiled and walked down the hallway and to the staircase. I ran downstairs and snuck out the side door. I pulled out my phone and sent a text message to one of my childhood friends, who's head of security at the hospital, telling him I was out and that he could turn the cameras back on.

I hopped in my car and started off on the way to Mephiles' apartment. Mephiles' apartment was the last place I expected to go. Knuckles is gonna flip. I left him a note saying I was gonna go see Shadow just in case he woke up. It said that I was gonna be gone for no more than fifteen minutes. Who knows how long I'm gonna have to stay at Mephiles'? No, Shadow is gonna flip, but I can't keep this from him. Then again, we'd get nowhere with finding Sonic if I didn't go to Mephiles.

Sooner than I thought I would, I pulled up in the parking lot of Mephiles' apartment building. I turned my car off and sat back in my seat, looking at the building. In apartment 7D, Mephiles' sitting there waiting for me, probably with a cup of coffee. He knows I love coffee. I finally got out of my car and started walking toward the entrance. I felt my phone vibrate in my hand and I stopped in my tracks. I looked down and saw it was a message from Knuckles: