Chapter 12: Rise

Bianca's eyes were wide, her smile ear-to-ear. She'd been away all night, letting Michael deal with all the shit war threw at him. He'd been saved by others, but now it was his turn to step up. He wouldn't be able to save Harum on his own. Thankfully, at least until the next part of his plan succeeded, he wasn't alone. Michael smiled.

"Am I being guarded?" Michael gestured the door.

"No one's there," Bianca said. "But they're standing near the exits."

"Damn," Michael said. "How many?"

Bianca blipped away, then returned.

"Twelve," she said. "Want me to shock them so you can get out?"

Her body began to glow a little brighter.

"No," Michael said. "That's too many. One could raise an alarm before you knock them out. This needs to be a secret for as long as possible."

"But the only other way out is for me to Slube you," Bianca said.

Michael closed his eyes. "Then do it."

"Really?" Bianca said, glowing.

"Slube me to wherever they're keeping Leenna's guards," Michael opened his eyes. "If you miss, lead me there. Quietly. And for fuck's sake, don't send me outside Aertum."

"You got it!"

She spread her arms and Michael fell through the floor. He landed in an empty hallway. He placed a hand on his stomach. It had only made the slightest churn from the Slube.

"Where are we?" Michael asked

"Not far!" Bianca appeared beside him. She pointed down the hallway where another corridor intersected theirs. "Go left here and it's three doors on your right."

Does that mean three doors down or the room needs three doors? Michael shook himself. "Why don't you just bring me there?"

"People are there," Bianca said. "I can't be seen, right?"

Michael gulped. "Are they armed? Are they guarding Leenna's guards' door?"

"They got those little doohickeys. And nope! They're walking."

She pointed to the wall and then blipped away. Michael peered into the hallway. Two women were looking at something small between them, walking with their backs facing Michael.

No one was guarding the door. He could do this.

I really hope Slubing where no one could see me wasn't the only bit of luck I'll get tonight. He began walking.

His heart thudded fast. Some soldiers walked about, going to and from rooms. A few people pushed floating carts around with boxes and equipment. Blend in by looking like you belong, Mike. He'd seen enough television and movies to tell him that. He fit in with his change of clothes, walking past three groups unnoticed before making it to the door.

Please, no one question this. Michael entered the room.

"Do you have more – what the hell?" Zacher said.

The room was small and windowless, with only three triple-tiered bunk beds lining either wall. Rakell was sitting on a bottom bunk, tablet clutched to her breast, while Tinel lay on a bunk near her, head raised. Zacher was halfway down the steps of a bunk on the other side of the room, staring wide-eyed at Michael.

"You want to save Harum?" Michael asked.

"What?" Tinel sat up quickly.

"Do you want to save Harum or not?" Michael asked. "Because if you do, then I have a plan, but we'll need to do this quickly."