Chapter 10: The Thief

"My dearest condolences, Harum-dwellers," General Nesbin said with no hint of sorrow, "for the injury of your colonel, as well as the loss of your friend and your home."

Nesbin was on the floating podium General Helli had once stood. She'd looked commanding and strong when she'd been there. Nesbin lacked the raw power General Helli had evoked, but he leered over the workers and the rest of the room, smirking. Michael still felt the cold hand of fear grip his heart, but that had nothing to do with Nesbin.

"What are you talkin' about?" Zacher asked. "Our home's not lost."

"You didn't receive the news?" Nesbin asked. He didn't make his podium descend like General Helli had, even though they walked closer to him. He looked down his nose at them. "Harum's defensive systems have failed them. They are remaining skyward, but that is all they can manage. When the AS ships left us, they began heading north. We could detect their shield output issues, even in our state of distress. I can only imagine how simple it was for the AS to notice."

"So you're saying –" Zacher began.

"That's right," Nesbin interrupted. "After their failure to take Aertum to their depths, the AS is going to mount an assault against Harum."

No. Leenna had been so distressed at the thought of her people dying. Michael could see her sparkling blue eyes so clearly, as though she were there with him. Once she heard the news, she'd be filled with sorrow again. He didn't want to see her hurt.

A small part of himself asked his apparently new favorite question: Why?

Why did he care so much? It was human nature to be distressed at the idea of an entire city's destruction. But that wasn't the first thing that worried him. The thought of Leenna, and her reaction to this news, was.

"Then help us!" Zacher said, stepping forward, away from Rakell's reaching hand. "We're your allies, aren't we? Give us the Vottals we require and let us get back home!"

"There are some problems with your statements," Nesbin said. "One, as has been proven in negotiations, Harum can hardly be called an ally. Your neglect in turning in your Vottal tax has led to deliberation of whether or not you are fitted to be in the UAC at all, with some unconvincing arguments in your case."

"But –"

"Two, the AS ships have been traveling for clicks already. Even if I were to grant you use of the UAC's Vottals, and detach our swiftest wings from whatever firewall is holding them back and give them to you, you would not reach Harum in time. It would already have sunk by the time you arrive. There is no point in sending you on this foolish errand."

"Clicks?" Zacher asked. "You've known about this for clicks and you didn't inform us?"

"In case you hadn't noticed, I was preoccupied with our problems." Nesbin spread his arms, gesturing the whole room. His nose crinkled as he looked at Zacher. "And watch your tongue, soldier. Harum will fall, leaving you without a home. I have half a mind to make you official members of Aertum, and let you live and work in my station. I am not cruel, soldier."

Bullshit. Michael's heart skipped a beat. He'd almost said that out loud!

"However," Nesbin continued, "the other half of my mind is currently contemplating throwing you into prison, to make the three of you suffer the penalty of your home's transgressions against the UAC. The colonel will join you if her wounds heal. Bear that in mind, soldier. I am not to be questioned nor provoked into making a decision from another's ineptitude. Understand?"

Michael thought he did, but he wasn't sure. Another's ineptitude? Why couldn't Nesbin just be straightforward with what he meant? Damn asshole politician.