Chapter 4: The Heart

"So here's the one who killed my people," General Helli said, glaring at Michael.

She stood on a hovering podium in the center of the room, domineering over the workers at their stations. She was tall and her muscles seemed to want to burst out of her navy-blue uniform. Golden wings adorned each of her shoulders, connected to one another with a loose, thin gold chain. Her brown hair was pulled into a tight bun and her eyes meant business.

"I didn't kill anyone!" Michael blurted out.

General Helli's eyes narrowed and Michael shivered. Should've kept your mouth shut.

"Come," she said, tapping one of the monitors surrounding her.

Jacki led Michael and Leenna to the center of the room, passing people who quickly typed on their hovering screens. General Helli's podium descended, its blinking blue lights disappearing once it reached the floor. One of the monitors shifted to the side and she stepped off the platform. Jacki stopped a foot from her, Michael and Leenna followed suit.

Why did this woman say he killed her people? What proof did she have? More importantly, what was she going to do to him? She looked like a resolute, merciless leader. It was all Michael could do to not shake. Leenna, on the other hand, gazed at the general with her chin up, shoulders back, and chest out.

Jacki brought her right fist to her chest. General Helli did the same, then lowered her arm. Jacki followed suit, then stepped aside.

"Colonel Yunner," General Helli said, facing Leenna, "we're bringing you to a safe location while I deal with the kid who blew us all to waters. Your escort is being located and moved here as we speak."

"Wait, I didn't –" Michael began.

"What's the situation?" Leenna interrupted, tone serious.

"Critical," General Helli said. "We've stabilized the supplier chambers, but our shields are low thanks to this kid. And the vodar's pinging movement from below."

"The AS is mounting an offensive?" Leenna asked, her eyes widening.

General Helli gave a terse nod. "We're bringing you to the top level. If we can't fix this mess by the time those sea bastards arrive, you and your people should be safe. This situation has forced a change in our negotiations, colonel."

"I know," Leenna said, lowering her head. "How long until the AS arrive?"

"At best, little over a click," General Helli said. "More realistically, sooner."

Leenna raised her head. "I understand."

"And now you," General Helli turned to Michael. "The kid who started all this. How do you –?" she cut off, then looked over Michael's shoulder. Anger flashed across her eyes. "Liam!"

"Yes, ma'am?" a man from behind Michael said.

"What are those?" General Helli gestured something.

The man stood at attention, his right fist held at his chest, backhand facing outward. There were four boxes beneath his monitor.

"These" – Liam glanced down at the boxes – "are the new equipment we ordered, ma'am!"

"And what is their function?"

"To streamline vottesence flow to our major systems in case of crisis, ma'am!"

"And where are they meant to be now?"

"With the teams below to repair the chambers more quickly so the lower portions don't explode, ma'am!"

Silence lingered before Liam's words dawned on him.