Chapter 8: Please

Michael thrusted his shield toward the AS as a hum sounded. A blue sphere collided with it, crackling as it buffeted him. Whatever had been stopping the AS's attack had ceased. The robot of death was behind them and the AS were to the left. The remaining UAC soldiers were running for their lives. All hope seemed lost. Just make it to the door. Get out of here, and –

The wall near the door exploded inward as the Eel ripped and churned through the metal. It swallowed two soldiers in front of him, their screams cutting off. Their blood splattering as the metal monster arced toward Michael.

Fuck!

"This way!" Mit screamed, running to the right.

This was good. Michael was used to following on Mit's heels now. So long as he followed the broad man, he'd be safe.

Boom!

A blast of blue erupted before them. The explosion sent Mit flying. He soared through the air, Michael unable to keep his eyes off him as he descended toward the Eel.

"Mit!" Michael screamed as the broad man slammed into the beast.

He ricocheted off it, missing the slashing blades, and hit the floor, where he lay motionless.

Mit had saved his life, bringing him through Aertum and trying to reach safety. As had Jacki, who still lay in the hallway. Now, his two guards were down, both dead for all he knew. His heart panged. After everything they'd done for him, he'd done nothing to repay them. Now, it may be too late.

A soldier attempting to flee the room was cut down by one of the Eel's blades. Dammit. The blades passed over the doorway, moving too fast to slide between them safely. They could wait for the Eel to slither out of the room, but it was massive. They couldn't sit tight with a Leviathan near.

Crunching and churning blasted from across the room. Michael ceased running and backed away from the Eel. It had just slammed into the far wall, close to the hallway Jacki lay. If she weren't dead now, she would be soon if that beast made a slight shift to the left. That could be me.

And would be, if he didn't leave this place. The Leviathan stood on the far side of a large hole the Eel had made and pointed an arm-cannon toward Leenna's straggling entourage, blue glowing within. Be a badass, and Bianca would send him home.

Knees buckling, Michael raised his chrome wand at the Leviathan.

Beep.

He took a step toward the robot.

Boom!

Then he charged it.

This is so fucking stupid! But how else was he supposed to escape? He pressed the button like a madman, sending explosion after explosion to the robot until he ran out of ammo. The waves cleared and the Leviathan's arm-cannon was directed at Michael now, a brilliant blue within. Fuck!

He leaped into the hole before him, chucking the wand at the robot. He'd hoped it would explode, but the tell-tale boom didn't sound. He dropped, his stomach rising, as an ear-splitting roar sounded above. The laser sliced through the ceiling, starting from the upper wall and going to the floor. Michael's heart skipped several beats as he plummeted, the laser hot on his heels. He activated his shield, held it toward the ever-nearing floor, and cowered his body behind it.

Please, let this work. He closed his eyes, the laser so close heat pressed on him.

His body numbed, sparks and crackles sounding, and Michael tumbled over pipes with an unfeeling body. The laser slid by him, passing over a disk that fell out of Michael's pockets. All was quiet afterwards, then more explosions sounded from the room above.