Depressed!Canada (Pt. 2)

Start from the beginning

His breath puffed out in billowing, opaque clouds that parted and lingered behind as he strode through, dissolving into the empty space left behind. The sky was a crisp ultramarine velvet, brimming with stars and unmuted by light pollution. The beauty didn't suit his apathetic mood in the least, but that was okay: Canada simply didn't look up at the universe suspended in crystal above him, purposefully shunning all its splendour.

The northern country lost track of time as his boots sank into fresh snow. He walked aimlessly but in a continual manner, enjoying the dark and the cold and the snow-muffled quiet. His old self — Canada found this labelling endearing — would have absorbed the beauty of the Russain night, thoughts filled with a calm awe. Now as he walked in a mindless loop of step after step after step, thoughts rarely flitted through his head, and as soon as they did, he promptly forgot them. That was okay though (Canada wryly noted that "okay" was becoming an apathetic motif in his life before moving on): he was just out there for escape.

XIV.

It was only after about an hour of walking (he had strayed off the path, which gave him much more freedom of direction), that Canada decided his escape should be permanent.

XV.

For about another half hour, he had the chance to change his mind.

Canada kept walking.

XVI.

The cold eventually turned from numbing and harsh to gloriously warm, and the tall country finally sat down. He lay silently propped up against a magnificent pine, winter coat discarded beside his still form. The moment could almost be labelled peaceful (if one excluded the utter lack of thoughts and emotions running through Canada's head.) The country was well-versed in the symptoms of hypothermia — his body was desensitised, tricking him into believing he was warm, and he was beginning to feel exhausted. Now all he has to do is wait.

Canada drifted off to sleep, one thought finally making itself known: I hope you guys are happy. Take care of this world. I ... I wish you all the best.

It was thought in the gentle, caring manner that Canada used to use every day.

His eyes fluttered shut, and snow began to fall.

XVII. / Bonus

"Hey ..." America slurred slightly, leaning precariously towards Germany, "Have you seen 'Nada? I can't, *hic*, find him ..."

The star-spangled country was holding a half-empty cup, eyes wandering around the packed room distractedly. He wanted to find Canada and show him the pretty Russian Ivan had written on his forearm: maybe his brother could translate the words.

"Nien ..." Germany finally replies, focusing on keeping his sentence straight, "Ich sah him wann the party started, but not ... kürzlich."

After struggling to find his words, the German took a celebratory sip of beer. He'd forgotten the English for half the stuff he wanted to say and instead slipped into his native tongue. America's face fell in disappointment as he figured out what the European had said, but then quickly brightened optimistically.

"He'll be back for the Ball Drop, I'm sure of it!"

"Albern Amerika," Germany laughed, cheeks flushed with alcohol and humour, " that's not happening for a while — we're in Russia!"

And for some inexplicable and drunken reason, the two friends doubled over in laughter, Canada forgotten.  

---

~Fin!~

---

Ich sah - "I saw" (German)

wann - "when" (German)

kürzlich - "recently" (German)

Albern Amerika - "Silly America" (German) (lighter connotation)

---

Lore/Inspiration!

This is a really sucky portrayal of events, but essentially: some time last year in like ... the spring, I was looking through fanfics and I found one about Canada and the FACE family. I can't remember the title, and it wasn't written on wattpad, so I can't find it again T^T (otherwise I'd link it), bUT what I do remember is that it was centred around Canada and involved him being depressed (but his depression wasn't the focus of the fic). The biggest points that stood out to me were: his red sweaters used to cover up any bleed-through from cutting, and that the FACE family eventually found out at a NYE party and convinced him to stop. It was, quite honestly, a wonderful fill. Except the writer in me (lol is she still even here? Who knows?) wanted to know more about Canada's emotions and what had caused them. I also didn't really like the ending, because it seemed like FACE was putting a band-aid on a spear wound or something but the author decided it would work for the sake of ending the fill well. So where does that put us?? With this lovely (/s) fill! Yeah. I hope this wasn't too depressing or stiff or anything, I've been messing around with my writing style so I'm sure it's inconsistent across all the fills ^^'. bUT anyways yep -- this is on the internet now. Enjoy.  

---

A/N: Please nobody worry about me! I don't cut / self-harm, I promise c: 

Unimportant but WHY DO I WRITE SO FRIGGIN MUCH IT'S LIKE ... QUALITY OVER QUANTITY AND MY QUALITY'S JUST DEAD. 

---

Word count: 2222 (do I even need to keep adding stuff besides the number down here?)