31-Becoming One

Raiya's POV:

I nearly collapsed at how tight Yukiko was pulling the dress, just about ready to beat the girl behind me.

"Can't you suck in anymore, fatass?" she hissed, pulling at the strings of the corset.

"Call me fatass one more time and I'll chop up that sorry excuse of a dress."

It wasn't a bad looking dress, if anything, it was the prettiest thing she owned. A light blue, it shimmered in the sunlight and had a small bow on the waist. I only threatened her because it was her "holy" dress, only used on certain occasions and it was her most prized possession. Rolling her eyes, she finished tying the dress.

"I know even you don't have the guts to cut up Jessica."

"J-Jessica?" I choked out.

"Yes, I named her. Is there something wrong?"

"Maybe the fact that you named an inanimate object Jessica but hey, maybe that's just me."

"Shut your trap before I make you, Rai."

She moved onto my hair, effortlessly lifting it into a loose updo, strands of hair framing my heart-shaped face.

"Are you sure you want to do this, Rai?" Yukiko asked softly.

I sighed, putting my hand over hers. Ever since I had broke the news to her, she thought I was crazy for marrying at such a young age but she reluctantly agreed once she talked to Subaru about it. Staring into her brown eyes, I gave her a reassuring smile.

"Yu, we talked about it, didn't we? I know I'm ready and I want to do it as quickly as I can."

She pouted before nodding as my mom walked into my room. She looked a bit tired but there was a big smile on her face as she came to my side, kissing my cheek lightly.

"You look beautiful, honey."

"Thanks, mom."

"You're father would have loved to see you."

In place of my father, my mother would be walking down the aisle. She looked on the verge of crying again and I gave her a small hug, feeling my heart squeeze in pain.

"I know he's watching from heaven, mom, so don't cry."

She sniffled before nodding and pulling herself together. Yukiko finished my makeup and I was ready for one of the most important days of my life. My mother led me to the door, pulling my veil to cover my face.

"I love you, Raiya."

I nodded, giving her my brightest smile.

"I love you too, mom."

The music started thanks to Laito and we walked through the rose garden, very few guests attending. Subaru's brothers and the Mukamis, forced to attend by Yukiko, sat, watching as I reached my husband to be. Subaru stood there, looking as angry as usual with his white suit and his hair slightly slicked to the side, his hands shoved into his pockets. As soon as his eyes landed on me, all anger left his body and he looked shocked. His cheeks turned pink and my mother handed me off to him, giving him a kiss on the cheek before taking a seat next to a sleeping Shu.

"You're not supposed to look this good," he growled, looking me up and down.

"So possessive," I said, rolling my eyes as he led me up the altar.

"Shut up," he mumbled.

The priest looked extremely bored as he looked like he had done this one too many times and I felt an irk mark appear on my forehead.

"Onto the vows."

I went first.

"Subaru, I know that I came in at a bad time in your life. Yui was gone and you weren't at your peak. Meeting you for the first time annoyed me but as time passed, I learned of your past and realized that inside, you're just a softie at heart."

Ayato and Laito snickered at that. Subaru gave them a heated glare.

"I was also lost, not able to show my emotions correctly. You showed me a different side to life, one that I wouldn't have been able to see without your help. Thank you so much, Susu. I don't know where I would be without you. I promise that I'll love you for the rest of our lives."

Subaru continued, not missing a beat.

"Raiya, you are so much special than you think. You managed to love a jerk like me while healing my abused heart. I know that I was cold to you in the beginning but something about you told me that you were different. That you were different from Yui. If she were here now, I know she would be cheering us on but I know she's doing that in heaven. I know that life with you will be the best in my life. The roses here don't even come close to your beauty. I know I won't be able to protect you from my father but I'll do everything in my power to keep you safe. I love you, Raiya."

"Sap," Ayato called out.

"You bastard-"

I interrupted his sentence by pulling up my veil, grabbing his lapel and slamming my lips against his.

"I now pronounce you husband and wife." the priest sighed, quickly leaving.

I pulled away, grinning as my red lipstick was slightly smudged on his pink lips. We ignored the catcalls from Laito and Kou before everyone began leaving. I gave my mother and Yukiko one last hug before Subaru tugged me into his room. His iconic black coffin laid on the floor and I smiled, remembering that this was how I figured what he was. He sat me down in it, noticing the slightly nervous expression I had.

"I promise I won't let anything bad happen to you."

I nodded, feeling a bit more calm at his words.

"I know it's going to sound...gross... but you have to drink my blood. After that, your heart will slowly stop and my blood will force the virus into your bloodstream, fully changing you. You'll undergo some physical changes along with that."

"That sounds...painful."

"It is-"

"I trust you though, Susu. I trust that we're making the right decision."

He gave me a genuine smile before nodding. He helped me change out of the dress and let me wear one of his black shirts before he laid in the coffin next to me.

"Are you ready?"

"As ready as a girl will ever be."

He bit his tongue harshly, causing blood to flow out of the wound. He kissed me, letting the blood go into my mouth. I cringed at the metallic taste, almost wanting to spit it out but ignoring my thoughts, I swallowed against my will. After a considerable amount of intaking his blood, he pulled away. I felt my eyes droop as the effects began to take place, my heart feeling heavy as it slowed.

"Susu, will....you stay...with me?"

He kissed my forehead and through my blurry vision, I saw his smile before his hand covered my eyes.

"Always, Rose. Now sleep."

I smiled dreamily and nodded with whatever strength I had left before letting the darkness come over me.