Chapter 5

"It has to be one word, Laiya." Lauren replies.

     "So then it's potato. Lauren, your letter is o." Carissa tells her.

     "Okay..."

     "It has to be, like a description word or a place."

     "I wasn't going to use okay, I was going to say only. That apparently won't work either. Uh...Ontario."

     "I get o, too?" Michaela complains. Carissa nods.

     "Octopus!"

     "My turn, sister!"

     "Oh...so I get r?" I ask, catching on.

     "Yeah! You're catching on much faster than these two."

     "I am offending." Laiya cries, dramatically.

     "Offending?" Lauren asks, confused.

     "Yes."

     "Moving on! You're letter was r, Deline." Carissa refocuses the group and I gulp. Everyone's watching me and waiting.

     Just think of a word that starts with r. "Reject."

     "Time." Jessica answers.

     "Bleh...uh...elephant!"

     "Tennis."

     We continue this game until we get bored. Well, Dusty really just wanted to play. We ran around a bunch then, Laiya's mom came to take them home. I decided to head home, too.

     "Deline, I'm home!" My father calls, slamming the door rather loud. I don't think he means to, but he did it at our old house, too.

     I throw out my garbage from the McDonald's I had. Not the cheapest or healthiest choice, but it was the closest and easiest to find. I couldn't take Dusty with me because she wouldn't have been aloud inside. So, I took my phone and walked down to main street and found the McDonald's. I then found my way back home and fed Dusty then ate.

     "I'm happy you ate."

     "Did you eat?" I ask, scooping up Dusty.

     "Yeah, I grabbed some Tim Horton's on the way home. Have you met our neighbors?" He sets down his bag on the kitchen island and removes his jacket.

     "Uh, yeah, I actually did. The Lukans. Their dad owns a meat shop in town." I reply.

     Yes, I did some research. I didn't have much else to do. Carissa's Dad's name is Calvin and her mom's name is Jeannie. Her dad does indeed work at a local meat shop and her mom works somewhere in the health region. A pretty normal small town family.

     "Really? You went and talked to them?" He asks. It's almost like he doesn't think I'm capable of speaking to other people. Sure, it tends to be difficult but I can still do it.

     "Yeah, Carissa's really nice. She invited me to hang out with her other friends, too." I'll only give him the bare minimum then.

     "That's wonderful, sweetheart." My father replies. Second 'sweetheart' today, first wonderful. "I have to go do some work, I'll see you tomorrow."

     I stand there, motionless, until he enters his office. "Love you too, father." I sigh, looking down at Dusty. "What do you say, one more walk then we hang out in my room?"

     The reply I receive is a happy yip, so I grab her leash and head to the door. Today wasn't half bad.