Chapter 2

"D-Dusty!" I call, stumbling off my bed, panting. It's getting harder to breathe. What if I suffocate? Can you die from an anxiety attack? What if I die today? This would've been a really pointless life. Would anyone in this life care? Would I be missed?

     I see a little grey ball trotting through my door, making a beeline towards me once she sees me. Dusty licks my face and fingers, trying to get me to focus. I giggle slightly at the tickle from her rough tongue. She huffs at me and nudges my hand with her nose. I prop myself up, my breathing starting to even out...slightly. Dr. Pinaci was right, this little dog does help.

     Dusty hops into my lap and sits there staring up at me with her blue eyes. I lift my hand and pet her, gently. She leans into it and we sit there, her calming me and me petting her.

     That's the first time that's happened in this life. In all my lives. I've never had a sever anxiety disorder before. In a couple lives before, we've learned about these attacks and how to deal with them, but I couldn't remember one for the life of me. All I knew was that Dusty was supposed to help. All I could really think about was that everything would go wrong. That there would be some inevitable conflict. Is this what people with anxiety disorders have to go through everyday? That must suck. This does suck.

     "Deline, come here!" My father calls.

     I scoop Dusty into my arms, seeing as she's just a puppy, and head downstairs to my father. Our rooms are on the second floor along with one bathroom and a spare bedroom. On the ground floor you have the kitchen, dining room, living room, office and another bathroom. In the basement you have another living room, bathroom and an extra room we haven't decided on.

     "Yes, father?"

     "I have to leave for a meeting. Can you order your own food? There's money on the kitchen counter."

     "Uh, yeah, I'll be...fine."

     "See you when I get home, bye sweetheart!" He locks the door behind him and I watch him drive away.

     "Yeah, no. I'm not talking to the delivery guy." I state to Dusty. She just barks in reply, trying to get out of my arms. "Okay, okay! Do you wanna go for a walk?"

     In reply, she runs to the door. Seeing as to how we just moved here yesterday, she already knows this place like the back of her...paw.

     I laugh and head up to my room to grab my camera. Where most people draw, write, dance or do sports, Deline-er I take pictures. I'm pretty good at it, too! My father thinks it's a waste of time. My mother supports me as much as she can. She actually bought me my favorite camera! I finally find it and head back downstairs.

     "Hey, girl!" I sling the strap around my neck and grab her leash. "Let's go!"

     I click the leash onto her collar and open the door. A warm fall breeze hits me and I sigh. Across the street, 3 girls are raking leaves and pine cones. One, the eldest, looks to be about my age. God, I hope she doesn't try to talk to me.

     "C'mon, Dusty, let's go."

     I hear an odd squeal from one of the girls and a lot of shushing from the other two. I guess they are just as anti-social as me. Dusty, on the other hand, decides she wants to meet them.