Chapter 49 - THE SURPRISE

Start from the beginning

I don't understand in what level he perceives the word beautiful. I was just only wearing a plain grey sweatshirt matched with black jogging pants. There was nothing particularly fancy in my outfit. In fact, it was him who looked more glorious. He's wearing the same outfit like we're going to a gym for a workout only that his pairs were in darker hues of navy blue. If I will be standing beside him, I may appear like his assistant. Which is true!

We were already in the middle of a highway and he was driving so unhurriedly. I had no idea where were we heading forward. He just told me that it was a surprise.

Looking at the side mirror, I could see that we're almost leaving the city and hell yes, it's already more than past an hour since we left his penthouse.

"James, are you a hundred percent sure that we're not leaving the country?"

I asked him with a hint of weariness.

"Uhumm..."

I looked at him. From his response and composure while driving along, he seemed like a picture of enthusiasm. He was in a very good mood as if he's wearing his heart in his sleeves.

"I wanted to show you a place and we're almost near."

He said and then looked at me for an instant and wink.

I looked around. We were off the city. It was more like a countryside. We passed several fields. I could feel how my nostril filtered the fresh air around and it didn't escape my eyes the golden wilderness. I suddenly felt like I'm home.

"Do you like what you see?"

"Like? I love it!!!"

I said half amazed and a bit teary. Yup, I seemed to be emotional at this point but who cares? This isn't the place I was expecting he would bring me. I thought we're going to some kind of an amusement park only people like him can afford.

He stopped the car and pulled himself out and made his way to open the door for me. He bowed his head and made a gesture like a prince asking for my hand. I was hesitant. Not that I didn't like his idea but I was just overwhelmed. I was feeling a bit unsure although I really loved what I was seeing; but then a mixture of joy and a sudden surge of fear were rumbling against inside me. I was nervous. I looked at him wearily then I let him take my hand while I stepped out of the car.

"Your hand is cold."

He mumbled with scrunched brows.

"Yeah. It's pretty cold in here. But it's okay, I mean I'm fine."

I faked my smile to cover my uneasiness.

"That's good! I know you didn't expect this but like I said, it was a surprise and I am so glad you loved the place."

We started taking small steps while he continued explaining his reasons why he chose this place.

I looked around for another time. We were meters away from the car. It was peaceful, lovely, and pure. But then again, there was this sudden eerie feeling and then I consciously felt that he's still holding my hand all this time. I tried to act very casual. I don't want to ruin the moment. I know he's trying to be romantic after all what we've been through from the start.

Every now and then I tried looking to his perfect face. Honestly, I didn't understand what he's blabbing about but he looked childlike funny yet contented.

"Hey, anything wrong? You're too silent."

I get startled from his hand poking my cheek.

"Hmm... no, nothing. It is just that this place is wonderful! It made me lost for words."