Chapter Five

Casper

I'd seen her in nothing but a skimpy bikini basically every day of summer for I didn't even know how many years. I'd accidentally walked in on her getting out of the shower a couple of times. Basically, I'd literally seen it all. But, something about her undressing in front of me had my head all fucked up. Especially after the weird ramped-up sexual innuendo that had come out of her that afternoon.

I was still thinking about that body, her naked back, when she came down the stairs and found us in the kitchen having a pre-party beer with John.

"You look nice, Lani," John said and I turned around.

She was hardly wearing anything John would consider nice. But, unlike her mum, he was happy to let her wear anything she liked. A black studded belt wound around the short, denim shorts that were almost met by the over-knee black socks she wore with chunky-heeled ankle boots covered in chains. She hadn't even tried to hide the strap of her black bra with a one-shouldered purple top. Her dark brown hair fell in loose waves around her shoulders and her eyes were smoky. I thought she looked more than nice, but knew better than even joking about it in front of her brother and dad.

I was practically family, but even I had a line when it came to Lani.

"Diplomatic, Dad, I like it." She smiled. "You guys ready?" Although, when she said 'guys' I heard 'arseholes' and threw her a smile.

"Want a beer before you go, sweet?" John asked.

She shook her head. "Nah, not tonight, thanks. I'll just grab a coat."

The three of us drained our beers and headed for the garage, where she soon joined us. Brett had called shotgun and was in the front with John, while I waited outside the car for her.

"Get a good enough look?" Lani asked with a grin.

"Haven't left much easy access." I retorted and her hazel eyes flashed with humour as she shook her head at me and slid into the car.

"We picking anyone up?" John asked as he backed out of the garage.

"Bec," Brett answered before anyone else could reply. Lani and I shared a knowing look and a stifled snort.

Bec was about the only girl Brett had ever looked twice at but made no progress with. He told me constantly how he was smitten with the tall, leggy, raven-haired beauty, and he tried to win her over at every possible opportunity. But, by all accounts, the woman had the willpower and stubbornness of a donkey. She returned his flirtation with a vengeance and she danced with him if he pleaded hard enough. But, that was all he'd ever got. I always meant to ask Lani why that was, but I never remembered. Well, I had now. But, I could hardly ask her why her best friend wouldn't sleep with mine while said best friend and his father were in the car.

When we got to Bec's, she was waiting for us and slid in beside Lani, forcing Lani to squeeze up beside me.

"Well, isn't this cosy," I said as I waggled my eyebrows at her.

Lani tried to frown, but the corners of her lips rose as if they had a mind of their own.

So, we clashed more often than not. So, she was overly judgmental of my chosen lifestyle and despised me pretty much all the time these days. But, we had more history of getting along in the lifetime our families had lived in each other's pockets. Which, I think, is why our mums saw something more in our future. I'd overheard them drunkenly declaring that our recent feuding was due to an unsatisfied sexual tension.

Needless to say, I'd almost pissed myself laughing at the idea, but kept it to myself.

Sure, Lani was hot, I could totally understand why guys wanted to fuck her – not that they were getting the chance! But, I personally didn't. I mean, I was an eighteen-year-old guy, of course I admired her body and she turned me on sometimes, but I never had to have her. Anyone would do to satisfy me.