*Chapter Twenty-Three*

Two days later, the students were allowed back at school. Miri was under strict regulations to not undergo any strenuous activity, but she could go to class and watch everyone.

Nightmare had disappeared from the house, and Miri was thankful. Her mother often disappeared for days at a time and it would irritate her to no end, but for once she appreciated it.

How she felt towards her mother at the moment was an even toss up. She was angry; she was sad; she was a mix of almost everything and nothing.

How could Nightmare let this happen to her? Miri was her daughter. Mothers were supposed to protect their kids, not endanger them.

Miri knew turning her mother into the police was the right thing to do. However, when push comes to shove, Miri had a weak spot for her mother. Her mother's bipolar actions confused her to no end, but sometimes she could almost see the mother she had when she was young. She saw it when Nightmare restrained herself, when she didn't raise her voice or a darkness infused fist.

Stepping out of the vehicle that escorted her to school each morning, Miri looked up at the school. Images of Hibiki floated through her mind, causing the fresh scar on her forehead to burn and her ribs to ache. Goosebumps covered her arm as she pulled her school bag closer to her body. She pulled out a green umbrella and held it over her, listening as rain pelted off of it.

"Miri!" A familiar green-haired boy cheered while being followed by Iida.

Miri looked over her shoulder, a small smile finding its way to her face, but it didn't feel right. The corners of her mouth felt as heavy as her eyes. "Hey...guys." Her voice was a weak croak. That didn't go unnoticed by the guys.

They walked into the school together; the boys asking Miri how she felt and trying to be polite when her responses were less than satisfying.

As they entered the school, Miri turned to Iida suddenly. "I...I heard your brother was in the hospital. I hope everything was...alright. I'm here if you ever want to talk about it."

Iida smiled at her and moved to put a hand on her shoulder, which Miri's body tensed at. Her mind flashed to Hibiki once more, and she stepped back from his hand. "I'm here for you if you ever need anything as well. That's a promise." His eyes softened at her tired and downcast appearance.

"Thank you." She whispered.

Before Miri could even step foot through the doorway of the classroom, a random group of girls ambushed her.

"Oh my god!" One cheered, jumping around Miri. "I watched your fight with that weird snake guy. Are you okay?"

Miri's lips parted, unsure of how to respond. She gripped the doorway as her heart began racing, remembering the details of her fight. Her eyes glazed over and she found it a little harder to breathe.

'He grabbed my hair...' She thought to herself. 'He beat me so effortlessly. He humiliated me in front of everyone. I promised myself that I would become better, that I deserved the first place spot. But...he hurt me. He-'

"Get the hell out of my way!" Bakugo growled at the girls surrounding Miri. He glared at her, ready to round off on her next, but noticed her appearance. He grit his teeth. "That goes for you too, Frost Bitch." He grumbled, but not nearly as loud as he had been with the other girls.

Miri zoned back into reality. Her fingers wrapped themselves in the black strands of hair and tugged on them. "I'm...sorry." She whispered, her heart still thudding rapidly. She pried her hand away from the doorframe and rushed into the classroom.

Bakugo stood there, dumbstruck for a moment. He expected another insult thrown back at him, but this was something entirely different. He figured the fight would have messed her up, but it was almost like a whole different person had taken over Miri's body.