45

⊱ ───── { Jeno } ───── ⊰

"So how did you manage to escape from Xiaojun?" Jeno inquires as the two tread lightly up the stairwell.

"Xiaojun left temporarily to trick Jisung into believing that an incubi was me. He didn't think that I would escape from the cage he trapped me in, but he didn't suppress my powers, so it isn't as if he made it all that difficult to do, anyhow," Chenle stops in his tracks, taking ahold of Jeno's wrist and forcing him to stop as well, "Is Jisung okay?"

Jeno looks down at the man who is a few steps below him, and he frowns deeply.

"He's very weak. So much life was drained out of him that he was forced to inhabit his feline form that my father gave him. Unfortunately, even that is failing him," Jeno admits somberly, causing Chenle to bow his head and grip Jeno's wrist tightly.

"Did you not find the book?" he asks with a shaky voice.

"I'm sorry, what?" Jeno questions, "How did you-"

"I've been wandering Hell for a while now. I found your father's library and sent the book on incubi your way. It was a risk that could have had dangerous consequences with little to no success, but...I needed you to find it," Chenle explains, "It was my little message in a bottle..."

Jeno takes a step down to be closer to him.

"I found it, but...but we didn't know...we..."

"We need to hurry and get back to him," Chenle interjects, "I can fix this."

Jeno exhales deeply as he looks into Chenle's large, glossy eyes. Genuine concern, love, and determination saturated them in a way Jeno had never seen before. Part of him wonders if he had the same look when he announced he was going to save Jaemin from Hell.

No...

His were different.

His were black and filled with rage. He was angered by what happened, not concerned by Jaemin's well-being. His actions were not fueled by concern, they were fueled by hatred and disdain.

Perhaps his father was right...Perhaps his anger does get the better of him.

"Yeah...we should hurry," Jeno nods in agreement.

Chenle suddenly furrows his brows, narrowing his eyes at Jeno while he cocks his head slightly. Jeno tries to ignore this and continue on, Chenle following closely behind.

"Why are you upset?" he inquires.

"Upset?" Jeno responds in imitated confusion.

"I can sense...sadness..." Chenle remarks, "Disappointment...self-loathing..."

"That's enough," Jeno grunts as his footsteps become heavier.

"It was very sudden...like a realization," Chenle ignores him, "Have you done something?"

Jeno continues trudging up the stairs, refusing to respond to the man.

"You have, haven't you?" Chenle presses, "I'm sensing that I've a nerve."

Jeno stops and spins around to come face to face with Chenle. Their proximity is far closer than Jeno expects, but he does not back down or step back. Not even while his nose touches Chenle's.

"What are you doing and why? Are you some sort of-"

"Empath? Kind of," Chenle shrugs, "I can sense things. Different kinds of things. I can sense emotions and incoming danger. Things like that. I can't make out distinct things like thoughts or events, but...yeah...sense. Most angels have a specialty power. That's mine."

Jeno stares Chenle down for several long moments before speaking again.

"Whatever your ability is, keep it out of my emotions and focus on our mission," Jeno growls in a low voice.

"Then whatever you're feeling better not affect our mission," Chenle fires back in a manner that is stern, but not harsh.

"It's none of your business," Jeno hisses.

Chenle rolls his eyes, and Jeno withholds the urge to shove him down the flight of stairs: instead opting to continue on his way.

The two reach the top of the stairs and find that it looks much like the bottom floor. Almost exact.

"Where is Jaemin being held?" Jeno inquires as he looks around the empty room.

"Theoretically speaking, I believe this castle is endless. It technically doesn't exist in a true physical form, therefore giving it no limitations," Chenle rambles on.

"Okay, so where's Jaemin?" Jeno grunts.

Chenle winces slightly, very clearly hesitating to tell Jeno his exact location.

"Here's the thing...you're not going to like what I have to tell you," Chenle mumbles.

"What the fuck happened to him?" Jeno snaps.

"I need you to trust me," Chenle explains.

"Trust you? With what?" Jeno demands to know.

Chenle suddenly begins whistling, the noise sounding like wind chimes in a light breeze. A soothing sound which abruptly ends when a thick cloud of black smoke appears just beside him. The smoke quickly dissipates and Xiaojun stands in its place, grimacing at the two.

"Trying to send out a distress signal? Really? Did you not think I would pick up on that?" he growls viciously as he grabs ahold of Chenle's forearm; his eyes flicker over to Jeno, who stares in bewilderment at the situation, "Looks like I was right. You did find him."

Jeno clenches his jaw tightly and glares at Xiao.

"I'm gonna fucking tear you limb from limb," he threatens.

"Ah ah ah," Xiao says in a singsong manner, "You're in my territory now."

Xiao grabs ahold of Jeno's throat and smiles wickedly. He does not choke him, but his grip is uncomfortably tight.

"And I have something to show you," Xiao remarks in a low voice in a highly amused manner.

Xiao forces Chenle to hold Jeno's wrist, then uses his now free hand to snap his fingers and engulf them in smoke.